• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Diamond doesn't match GIA certificate (Diamond is better than certificate)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

goda404

This will be random, but a friend of mine pointed me in the direction of consumer law so maybe you could help! My fiance recently proposed and I have a diamond ring with a GIA certificate. I went to get it appraised with a different jeweler yesterday and we discovered that my diamond doesn't match the certificate. They are very close, but my actual diamond is better in color and worse in clarity with the everything else pretty much the same. My actual diamond is valued higher than my certificate. I called the original jewelry store and we figured it all out and basically they accidentally swapped the certificates (who knows how long ago) and priced my diamond based on the certificate specs (even though all the handlers kept saying the color of the actual diamond was better) rather than the diamond spec. So now the store wants me to pay the difference to get the correct certificate which was $4k that they discounted to $2.4k. I want to know what kind of rights I have. Am I legally required to pay? This whole issue is their fault for not double checking numbers with the diamonds etc.My fiance bought the diamond based on what it looked like and not the certificate specs because he's not an expert and those specs mean little. Also, to clarify, the certificates were switched prior to him even looking at the diamonds because from day one, the handlers were all confused about the color and saying how the diamond actually looks better than it should but never did anything to investigate. What do I do?! :(

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
This will be random, but a friend of mine pointed me in the direction of consumer law so maybe you could help! My fiance recently proposed and I have a diamond ring with a GIA certificate. I went to get it appraised with a different jeweler yesterday and we discovered that my diamond doesn't match the certificate. They are very close, but my actual diamond is better in color and worse in clarity with the everything else pretty much the same. My actual diamond is valued higher than my certificate. I called the original jewelry store and we figured it all out and basically they accidentally swapped the certificates (who knows how long ago) and priced my diamond based on the certificate specs (even though all the handlers kept saying the color of the actual diamond was better) rather than the diamond spec. So now the store wants me to pay the difference to get the correct certificate which was $4k that they discounted to $2.4k. I want to know what kind of rights I have. Am I legally required to pay? This whole issue is their fault for not double checking numbers with the diamonds etc.My fiance bought the diamond based on what it looked like and not the certificate specs because he's not an expert and those specs mean little. Also, to clarify, the certificates were switched prior to him even looking at the diamonds because from day one, the handlers were all confused about the color and saying how the diamond actually looks better than it should but never did anything to investigate. What do I do?! :(
Ask a different jeweler to send the stone to GIA for a report.

ETA: Why do you care about a GIA report at this point?

LdiJ

Why do you want a new certificate? Why not just be satisfied with a diamond that is worth more than the certificate?

xylene

Yeah don't waste any more money on the inflated value of a lump of carbon mined by children and/or in ecologically devastating ways.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
Yeah don't waste any more money on the inflated value of a lump of carbon mined by children and/or in ecologically devastating ways.
Fascinating read on the whole engagement ring "tradition": http://www.thelist.com/24725/untold-truth-engagement-rings/

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">