• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does the company have the right to collect money from me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

movendaso

I trying to get some service done at my rental property from a different state, and I contacted a company to give me a quote for the work, and after the initial visit inspection I did not authorize the company to perform the work, however, I just got a call from the company asking me to pay for it and saying my tenant gave them your authorization(or a signature) to perform but you have no idea about this. And now the contractor is trying to bill me for the service and threaten me if you don't pay they are going to put a lien on your house. The whole situation is very unfair for me, since I did not authorize the work to begin with and the company did the work without my approval. Does the company have to right to collect the money? Is there any way I can get out of it?

eerelations

I trying to get some service done at my rental property from a different state, and I contacted a company to give me a quote for the work, and after the initial visit inspection I did not authorize the company to perform the work, however, I just got a call from the company asking me to pay for it and saying my tenant gave them your authorization(or a signature) to perform but you have no idea about this. And now the contractor is trying to bill me for the service and threaten me if you don't pay they are going to put a lien on your house. The whole situation is very unfair for me, since I did not authorize the work to begin with and the company did the work without my approval. Does the company have to right to collect the money? Is there any way I can get out of it?
Did the company do the work you wanted? Did they do it to the standard you wanted? If yes, then it seems only right that you pay them.

movendaso

Did the company do the work you wanted? Did they do it to the standard you wanted? If yes, then it seems only right that you pay them.
Personally, No, since I am not at the same state as the property is and the service is for underground. But my tenant did not complain about the issue anymore so I assume they fixed it. And I did give them my credit card to charge and at the same time, I requested the bill from them so I can see what service was actually done cause their price is higher than what I am willing to pay. But I have never receive anything from them so I disputed the charge with my bank and it was approved and I got back the money. However, they are trying to collect the money from me again..

justalayman

Why would you provide your credit card to a contractor if you did not authorize the work?

oh. I see why:

And I did give them my credit card to charge and at the same time, I requested
So your only real argument is that the final cost is not the same as the quote?

Then ask them to provide a detailed description of the services rendered and an explanation of why the final cost is more than the original estimate.

I suggest you pay at least the estimate amount. It would appear you did authorize wat lease that amount. Then discuss the difference and see where that goes.

Btw: you didn’t provide the state the rental is in but:

In some states what you did is called theft of services and is a crime.

movendaso

Why would you provide your credit card to a contractor if you did not authorize the work?

oh. I see why:

So your only real argument is that the final cost is not the same as the quote?

Then ask them to provide a detailed description of the services rendered and an explanation of why the final cost is more than the original estimate.

I suggest you pay at least the estimate amount. It would appear you did authorize wat lease that amount. Then discuss the difference and see where that goes.

Btw: you didn’t provide the state the rental is in but:

In some states what you did is called theft of services and is a crime.

Thank you very much for your reply. My rental property is in Virginia. And the actual issue is I didn't decide to have them perform the work, all I wanted them to do was to give me a quote so I can do price comparison, and I was already in contact with someone else that would do the job for half of the price that they gave me. And the contractor company was affirm that they have "my signature" "my authorization"... which I didn't even know. They said my tenant approve or sign on my behalf which i have no clue at all.. So, that authorization didn't come from me at all and I have no idea about the work was being performed until they are trying to charge me.

justalayman

Yet you state YOU provided them with your credit card information.

And I did give them my credit card to charge and at the same time, I requested the bill from them so I can see what service was actually done cause their price is higher than what I am willing to pay.
Your statement is in the last tense. That means you were speaking with them after they made the repair.

So you provided your credit card

You asked for a bill describing the work they DID.

How do you explain you provided them with your credit card information yet you did not authorize the work?

movendaso

Yet you state YOU provided them with your credit card information.

Your statement is in the last tense. That means you were speaking with them after they made the repair.

So you provided your credit card

You asked for a bill describing the work they DID.

How do you explain you provided them with your credit card information yet you did not authorize the work?
I provided them with my credit card when they called and tried to charge me for the first time. And they made me feel obligated to pay. However, I have called them twice to request my bill, cause I want to know what I was paying for. But I have never received anything for them. So they are making me pay for the service, but not showing me what I am paying for.

justalayman

I provided them with my credit card when they called and tried to charge me for the first time
Exactly!!!

So why didn’t you just say; oh whoa there. I haven’t even authorized you to do the work yet. I’m not paying for something I didn’t authorize.

I must be missing something. You don’t give people your credit card number to people you don’t intend on paying..

You don’t pay people you haven’t authorized to do work for you.

You don’t ask for a bill from people you have no intention of paying.

[QJOTE]So they are making me pay for the service, but not showing me what I am paying for.[/QUOTE]

Make up your mind. Is your problem they want you to pay for work you never authorized OR they want payment for work performed but you don’t want to pay without a bill to be able to review what work was done?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">