• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Facebook giveaway that has never been received

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Acolvin

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OH

I entered a contest on Facebook that was a random draw giveaway. To be entered into the contest you had to add other people to the business' Facebook page. Every so many people added got you X amount of entries. I won the grand prize which was a visa gift card. There were other prize winners that won a store credit. Those people received their store credit and the items they purchased with the credit. I have never received the prize. I have been in contact with the person that owns the company that ran the contest. I keep getting the same answers of "you should be getting it any day " and "Let check to make sure it was sent". The person running the contest is out of Oklahoma. The contest winners were announced a month and a half ago. Do I have any course of action other than posting this on there social media?

adjusterjack

Do I have any course of action other than posting this on there social media?
Be careful what you say on the internet. Even if it's true, it doesn't prevent the lawsuit from being delivered to your door for things like defamation or tortious interference or some such.

How much is the gift card supposed to be?

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OH

I entered a contest on Facebook that was a random draw giveaway. To be entered into the contest you had to add other people to the business' Facebook page. Every so many people added got you X amount of entries. I won the grand prize which was a visa gift card. There were other prize winners that won a store credit. Those people received their store credit and the items they purchased with the credit. I have never received the prize. I have been in contact with the person that owns the company that ran the contest. I keep getting the same answers of "you should be getting it any day " and "Let check to make sure it was sent". The person running the contest is out of Oklahoma. The contest winners were announced a month and a half ago. Do I have any course of action other than posting this on there social media?
How do you know that the other winners received the store credit?

What were the terms of the contest (i.e., was a specific date or time given for winners to receive their prizes)?

HRZ

THis most certainly was not a random draw....there was an obvious quid pro quo ...the number of names you submitted determines the number of chances you had to win and the more the names the more,the odds .
Far from random odds ....no clue if this sort of game violates any lottery rules where it is played ...but I'd check? ...

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
THis most certainly was not a random draw....there was an obvious quid pro quo ...the number of names you submitted determines the number of chances you had to win and the more the names the more,the odds .
Far from random odds ....no clue if this sort of game violates any lottery rules where it is played ...but I'd check? ...
It is a random draw from all the entries received, per the rules of the giveaway.

Acolvin

Be careful what you say on the internet. Even if it's true, it doesn't prevent the lawsuit from being delivered to your door for things like defamation or tortious interference or some such.

How much is the gift card supposed to be?
It is $200

Acolvin

How do you know that the other winners received the store credit?

What were the terms of the contest (i.e., was a specific date or time given for winners to receive their prizes)?
I know one of the people who won store credit. There were no terms given. Just the date of the drawing.

quincy

I know one of the people who won store credit. There were no terms given. Just the date of the drawing.
So there hasn't been any breach ... just an annoying delay.

You can continue to badger the company but I would refrain from writing anything on the Facebook page (see adjusterjack's earlier warning). You could report the company to your State's Consumer Protection Division if the company fails to deliver your prize even after repeated requests. In fact, you can mention to the company your intention of contacting the State if you do not receive the $200 Visa card. That could spur action.

Good luck.

Acolvin

Update

A little update....I was told last Saturday that the gift card was sent. I've asked three different days for the tracking number that he said he would provide. I've not received a response AND the post that the winners were announced on has been deleted from the page. I saw this coming and grabbed a screen shot of that post. Am I ever gong to receive this?

quincy

A little update....I was told last Saturday that the gift card was sent. I've asked three different days for the tracking number that he said he would provide. I've not received a response AND the post that the winners were announced on has been deleted from the page. I saw this coming and grabbed a screen shot of that post. Am I ever gong to receive this?
Are you ever going to receive the $200 gift card? Possibly not.

Have you filed a complaint with the state attorney general, either Ohio's AG or, perhaps better, Oklahoma's AG?

Here is a link to advice (click on consumer complaint) and the complaint process for Oklahoma: https://www.oag.ok.gov/oagweb.nsf/complaint.html

Here is a link to the Ohio: http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/Individuals-and-Families/Consumers/Search-Consumer-Complaints

Good luck.

Last edited:

Acolvin

Just an update on this issue. I STILL have not received anything. Every time I ask about it he says that he has it and I'll receive it soon. He said that he has 180 days to send the card and that is up Feb. 8th.

quincy

Just an update on this issue. I STILL have not received anything. Every time I ask about it he says that he has it and I'll receive it soon. He said that he has 180 days to send the card and that is up Feb. 8th.
Thanks for the update.

I guess you wait to see if you receive your gift card by February 8.

Did you file a complaint as earlier advised?

justalayman

Just saying what I see:

You are not getting the $200 visa gift card.

Either file complaints as Quincy suggested or just give up.

I would add;

File whatever kind of complaint you can with Facebook as well. While it’s still like the wild Wild West as far as I’m concerned, just like the wild Wild West, it does appear they do try to police their site and get rid of people that use their site in a manner that puts Facebook in a bad light.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">