• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How Many Attempts to Repair?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dash23

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

How many attempts does the Apple store get to repair a laptop that’s under warranty before having to replace it?

They sent it back once to be repaired, it came back, and still had the same issue. Not only that, but they did not replace the motherboard as the technician asked them to. Now it has the same problem, and they want to try to repair it again (2nd time).

Each time I send it in, I’m losing productivity. The Apple Care (warranty) terms don’t specify, and just say that they will repair or replace it.

Thanks.

adjusterjack

How many attempts does the Apple store get to repair a laptop that’s under warranty before having to replace it?

They sent it back once to be repaired, it came back, and still had the same issue. Not only that, but they did not replace the motherboard as the technician asked them to. Now it has the same problem, and they want to try to repair it again (2nd time).

Each time I send it in, I’m losing productivity. The Apple Care (warranty) terms don’t specify, and just say that they will repair or replace it.
That's right. Apple will, "AT ITS DISCRETION," repair or replace. That means Apple can take as many shots at repair as it wants to, until it decides to replace it.

Apple also expressly disclaims any liability for consequential damages, i.e. your loss of productivity.

https://www.apple.com/legal/sales-support/applecare/applecareplus/docs/applecareplusmacus.html

Yes, I did read the entire service plan.

I don't think a second try at repair is unreasonable.

Might be a good idea to have a spare computer as a backup, maybe a cheap PC to tide you over when your Mac is in the shop.

Dash23

That's right. Apple will, "AT ITS DISCRETION," repair or replace. That means Apple can take as many shots at repair as it wants to, until it decides to replace it.

Apple also expressly disclaims any liability for consequential damages, i.e. your loss of productivity.

https://www.apple.com/legal/sales-support/applecare/applecareplus/docs/applecareplusmacus.html

Yes, I did read the entire service plan.

I don't think a second try at repair is unreasonable.

Might be a good idea to have a spare computer as a backup, maybe a cheap PC to tide you over when your Mac is in the shop.
The question still remains, at what point must they replace it when they can’t fix the problem?

From the the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act:

“4) if the product (or a component part thereof) contains a defect or malfunction after a reasonable number of attempts by the warrantor to remedy defects or malfunctions in such product, such warrantor must permit the consumer to elect either a refund for, or replacement without charge of, such product or part (as the case may be).”

What is a “reasonable” number of attempts? 2? 3? The lemon law on cars is 3.

I’ll send it in again and that’s 2.

Last edited:

adjusterjack

What is a “reasonable” number of attempts? 2? 3?
4? 5? 6? nth?

I hate seeing the word "reasonable" in any statute because "reasonable" is in the eye of the beholder. Who knows? Maybe it's in there to give lawyers a chance to make lots of money arguing the word in court.

Comparisons to laws (like the car lemon law) that put numbers to the limits are useless.

Dash23

did op ask them how many attempts ? that would have been one of my inquirys
I did ask the yuppie punk at the store and they said “Uh I don’t know lol, usually like 3 or 4 or something”

It’s not for them to define though. What number does the law say is reasonable?

adjusterjack

It’s not for them to define though. What number does the law say is reasonable?
The law doesn't give a number. It says reasonable. You posted it yourself.

A googling of "Massachusetts computer warranty statute" reveals no such statute but yields plenty of articles about implied and express warranties, none of which will speed up your computer repair or limit the number of attempts at repair before replacement is necessary.

You can call around to your state and local consumer protection agencies and see if anybody is willing to put a number on it.

Just keep in mind that whatever number they tell you is meaningless if they can't cite you a statute that backs up that number.

The other alternative is to go up the food chain to Apple's corporate HQ and see if an executive will facilitate an immediate replacement. I've occasionally had better luck at the corporate level for different products and manufacturers.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">