• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Just sold a car to dealership now dealership has issues. Please help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Trypsta

First off I would like to apologize if this is in the wrong section. Please forgive me.

Hello,

I sold my car a week ago for a little under $4.000. I signed the paperwork, gave them the title, and deposited the check. Today I received a voicemail from the dealership saying that the car I sold them has transmission issues and that I must call them back to talk about what happens next. (This is a company/manufacturer dealership). I was not aware of any issues with the car. The dealership even test drove my car and quoted me at a lower value due to dents etc. before they agreed to buy it. Do I have to worry about calling them back? Would I have to return their payment? Do I need a lawyer? This is in Washington State.

Any advice would be helpful. I am stressed out because of this.

Thank you

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Generally, you would tell them to enjoy their new car...however, in your situation, I would suggest that you read the paperwork that you signed when you sold it VERY carefully before contacting them. You may have signed something that would affect their rights or yours.

single317dad

I agree with Zigner's response. I would also recommend you have a contract law attorney in your area review your sales agreement and advise you on how, exactly, the agreement addresses transmission failures post-sale before responding officially to the dealer.

That said, I wouldn't put off returning their call for too long. If it's going to take you a week (i.e.) to see a lawyer, you should at least return the dealership's call in the interim to find out exactly what it is that they want.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">