• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Money Back Guarantee Law in California?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

In our business we wanted to offer our customers a 15 day money back guarantee; however, our credit card merchant told us that we should check to see if the state of California required us to offer at least a 30 day money back gurantee. Is there any such law in California?

Thanks for you help! :)

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

In our business we wanted to offer our customers a 15 day money back guarantee; however, our credit card merchant told us that we should check to see if the state of California required us to offer at least a 30 day money back gurantee. Is there any such law in California?

Thanks for you help! :)
Why isn't the merchant processor finding this out for you. If they want your business, then they should do that research. If the don't feel like getting up to speed with the state statutes that affect how their customers do business, I'd say it is time to find a merchant processor that does.

Thank you for you response, and it would be great if my merchant already knew this; however, can anyone else tell me whether you're aware of such a law? It would be very helpful.

Thank you!

Antigone*

Thank you for you response, and it would be great if my merchant already knew this; however, can anyone else tell me whether you're aware of such a law? It would be very helpful.

Thank you!
I would be very leary of contracting with a merchant processor who is not familiar with the laws in my jurisdiction. Especially with so much happening in the industry.

I'm jes sayin;)

LdiJ

I would be very leary of contracting with a merchant processor who is not familiar with the laws in my jurisdiction. Especially with so much happening in the industry.

I'm jes sayin;)
I am not sure that a merchant processor would be someone that would be expected to know those kinds of laws. They are credit card processors and they have nothing to do with how a merchant runs or is supposed to run their business...outside of the credit card laws.

Whether or not you have to offer any certain length of money back guarantee has nothing to do with whether or not the item is paid for with cash or credit.

Antigone*

I am not sure that a merchant processor would be someone that would be expected to know those kinds of laws. They are credit card processors and they have nothing to do with how a merchant runs or is supposed to run their business...outside of the credit card laws.

Whether or not you have to offer any certain length of money back guarantee has nothing to do with whether or not the item is paid for with cash or credit.
I worked with a merchant processing sales rep for many years (she sat in the office next to me). We collaborated on many deals together, and believe me she needed to know and understand what regulations affected the customers she served. They need to understand the local laws and rules that govern how their clients process, this includes PCI compliance, what must be disclosed, how it is to be disclosed, etc.

It would be like you doing someone's taxes and not knowing diddly about the IRS.

LdiJ

I worked with a merchant processing sales rep for many years (she sat in the office next to me). We collaborated on many deals together, and believe me she needed to know and understand what regulations affected the customers she served. They need to understand the local laws and rules that govern how their clients process, this includes PCI compliance, what must be disclosed, how it is to be disclosed, etc.

It would be like you doing someone's taxes and not knowing diddly about the IRS.
Ok...I see your point. I could do a tax return without knowing diddly about how the IRS operates, but I would not be a fully effective tax professional without knowing how the IRS operates. That makes perfect sense and thank you for the analogy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">