• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is my photographer scamming me and what to do next?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PhotoScam

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I signed a contract with a photographer in the fall of last year to photograph my wedding in this spring. I paid the lady with my debit card, in full, on the day of our meeting and signing. She used SQUARE on her phone to complete the transaction. I received a receipt from SQUARE that day and the funds were taken out of my bank account the following business day.

Come January, I receive a call from her office saying I need to sign a credit card authorization form. I tell her multiple times I have paid in full for the service, why is it necessary 3 months later. She states it is for tax purposes. I sign the PDF form and the next day I am billed for the full contract amount, again. I immediately called the photographer and she states they never received payment back in October and to file a dispute for the October transaction. I called my bank and disputed the January charge, because the October charge is beyond the 60 day law. My bank is currently investigating that charge now but I have been told by multiple bank employees me case is very solid.

I have called and emailed the photographing company and photographer herself multiple times. The one time the office called me (they mistakenly thought I was a new client) she said they could not do anything about the October transaction because they never received funds from SQUARE. She said their merchant denied it. The photographer is now fielding my calls as well. Since last weekend, the photographing office number has been disconnected. The photographer refuses to work with me or show me any of her records of the denied charge.

I tried to contact SQUARE and they can not access the companies account without their approval. But the agent said that if I received a receipt, the funds were transferred. The photographer stated today they have cancelled their account with SQUARE and can not access that information anymore...

Reading a review from a site, another user is claiming the exact thing is happening to them at this moment. At this point I feel the whole thing is a scam.

What am I to do next? Should I wait until my wedding day and file a suit for breach of contract? Should I cancel the contract and take her to small claims court? Should police be involved for something?

Thank you.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I signed a contract with a photographer in the fall of last year to photograph my wedding in this spring. I paid the lady with my debit card, in full, on the day of our meeting and signing. She used SQUARE on her phone to complete the transaction. I received a receipt from SQUARE that day and the funds were taken out of my bank account the following business day.

Come January, I receive a call from her office saying I need to sign a credit card authorization form. I tell her multiple times I have paid in full for the service, why is it necessary 3 months later. She states it is for tax purposes. I sign the PDF form and the next day I am billed for the full contract amount, again. I immediately called the photographer and she states they never received payment back in October and to file a dispute for the October transaction. I called my bank and disputed the January charge, because the October charge is beyond the 60 day law. My bank is currently investigating that charge now but I have been told by multiple bank employees me case is very solid.

I have called and emailed the photographing company and photographer herself multiple times. The one time the office called me (they mistakenly thought I was a new client) she said they could not do anything about the October transaction because they never received funds from SQUARE. She said their merchant denied it. The photographer is now fielding my calls as well. Since last weekend, the photographing office number has been disconnected. The photographer refuses to work with me or show me any of her records of the denied charge.

I tried to contact SQUARE and they can not access the companies account without their approval. But the agent said that if I received a receipt, the funds were transferred. The photographer stated today they have cancelled their account with SQUARE and can not access that information anymore...

Reading a review from a site, another user is claiming the exact thing is happening to them at this moment. At this point I feel the whole thing is a scam.

What am I to do next? Should I wait until my wedding day and file a suit for breach of contract? Should I cancel the contract and take her to small claims court? Should police be involved for something?

Thank you.
If you used your debit card, there should be a record of it. Therefore, you should start with square.

Calling the police will not get you anywhere - they will rightly tell you that it's a civil matter.

And why in the name of all that's good in the world would you want to work with someone that you believe is a scammer? Follow up with Square, take your proof of the transaction to the photographer, and ask for a refund of the second payment. Or, depending on the terms of your credit card, you can dispute the payment through them.

PhotoScam

If you used your debit card, there should be a record of it. Therefore, you should start with square.

Calling the police will not get you anywhere - they will rightly tell you that it's a civil matter.

And why in the name of all that's good in the world would you want to work with someone that you believe is a scammer? Follow up with Square, take your proof of the transaction to the photographer, and ask for a refund of the second payment. Or, depending on the terms of your credit card, you can dispute the payment through them.
I have spoke with SQUARE twice today, and they can not access the photography studios account without their permission. Both agents I spoke with said that.

My bank is currently investigating the January transaction. I am unable to dispute the October transaction due to it being over 60 days, some kind of agreement prohibiting dispute over that.

Trust me, I want NOTHING to do with this studio after this. I want to cancel the contract immediately, but am unsure if it will hurt my case in getting a refund for the October payment since they say they do not have record of it on their end. Or if it will damage my chances of filing a small claims against them.

I have sent screen shots of my bank account showing the posted charge along with a copy of the SQUARE receipt to the photographer, both of which have been ignored. I asked for their address to come and sit to show these records in person and they refused to give me a physical address, only the PO Box.

Side note, the photographer is also the CEO.

Thanks

quincy

I have spoke with SQUARE twice today, and they can not access the photography studios account without their permission. Both agents I spoke with said that.

My bank is currently investigating the January transaction. I am unable to dispute the October transaction due to it being over 60 days, some kind of agreement prohibiting dispute over that.

Trust me, I want NOTHING to do with this studio after this. I want to cancel the contract immediately, but am unsure if it will hurt my case in getting a refund for the October payment since they say they do not have record of it on their end. Or if it will damage my chances of filing a small claims against them.

I have sent screen shots of my bank account showing the posted charge along with a copy of the SQUARE receipt to the photographer, both of which have been ignored. I asked for their address to come and sit to show these records in person and they refused to give me a physical address, only the PO Box.

Side note, the photographer is also the CEO.

Thanks
The photography studio should be registered with the Texas Secretary of State. Here is a link to frequently asked questions: https://www.sos.state.tx.us/corp/managementinfofaqs.shtml

Once you have a physical address, you will more easily be able to contact the photographer. You can then send a letter - or better, have an attorney send a letter - certified, return receipt requested. You can include whatever you want with the letter - your October proof of payment, a refund demand, a cancellation of the contract.

You will want to carefully read over the contract to see what terms you originally agreed to, especially as they relate to cancellations.

If your wedding is this spring, you may find other phographers are already booked for the day of your wedding.

Good luck.

PhotoScam

The photography studio should be registered with the Texas Secretary of State. Here is a link to frequently asked questions: https://www.sos.state.tx.us/corp/managementinfofaqs.shtml

Once you have a physical address, you will more easily be able to contact the photographer. You can then send a letter - or better, have an attorney send a letter - certified, return receipt requested. You can include whatever you want with the letter - your October proof of payment, a refund demand, a cancellation of the contract.

You will want to carefully read over the contract to see what terms you originally agreed to, especially as they relate to cancellations.

If your wedding is this spring, you may find other phographers are already booked for the day of your wedding.

Good luck.
Upon investigating further, I was not able to find the business through the BBB, chamber of commerce or the secretary of state. However, I did find her number registered to another photography company. That company does not have any information through the above sites neither. Should I stick with contacting a lawyer or take my findings to the police?

Thanks

quincy

Upon investigating further, I was not able to find the business through the BBB, chamber of commerce or the secretary of state. However, I did find her number registered to another photography company. That company does not have any information through the above sites neither. Should I stick with contacting a lawyer or take my findings to the police?

Thanks
The police can't help you. This is a civil matter.

The problem can most likely be traced to a clerical error by the photography studio.

The company for which the photographer is a CEO is not registered with the state? Hmm.

You can contact an attorney in your area. The attorney's communication with the photographer might be more productive.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">