• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New car caused possible formaldehyde poisioning.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Michaels Mom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Hello. I hope this is the correct area to post this.

My father purchased a new car in October/November. About 2 weeks to a month after he purchased the car, he started experiencing dizziness, vertigo and loss of consciousness episodes. A friend that he worked with (he worked at a hospital) suggested that the new car was notorious for using formaldehyde in it's interior. He began driving his old car again until he could get the new car checked for formaldehyde and his symptoms began to disappear. I know that he called the company and filed a claim but he said that he had not heard anything back from them. About a week after him and I talked about this, he passed away from a heart attack.

I have the company name that he was going to take his car to in order to get tested, I am just not sure how to go about this after we receive the test results or even if it matters anymore. If anybody has any input, it would be greatly appreciated.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm sorry for your loss.

Can you tell me exactly what you hope to accomplish?

How old was your dad? Did he have any preexisting heart conditions? If you want to look at a possible lawsuit against the manufacturer, you're going to want the help of an local attorney who specializes in product liability matters.

Michaels Mom

How old was your dad? Did he have any preexisting heart conditions? If you want to look at a possible lawsuit against the manufacturer, you're going to want the help of an local attorney who specializes in product liability matters.
Zinger, thank you for the reply. He was 60 and did have pre-existing heart conditions, so I am not thinking this was the primary cause.

As for what I am looking to accomplish, I have no clue. I am not looking for money, but I also think the company needs to change the products used to "treat" the interiors of cars. This is a family type vehicle and extremely popular. I honestly have no clue, I will see what the test results say for chemicals.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Hello. I hope this is the correct area to post this.

My father purchased a new car in October/November. About 2 weeks to a month after he purchased the car, he started experiencing dizziness, vertigo and loss of consciousness episodes. A friend that he worked with (he worked at a hospital) suggested that the new car was notorious for using formaldehyde in it's interior. He began driving his old car again until he could get the new car checked for formaldehyde and his symptoms began to disappear. I know that he called the company and filed a claim but he said that he had not heard anything back from them. About a week after him and I talked about this, he passed away from a heart attack.

I have the company name that he was going to take his car to in order to get tested, I am just not sure how to go about this after we receive the test results or even if it matters anymore. If anybody has any input, it would be greatly appreciated.
What vehicle did your father purchase? A Ford Explorer, perhaps?

Zigner

Zinger, thank you for the reply. He was 60 and did have pre-existing heart conditions, so I am not thinking this was the primary cause.

As for what I am looking to accomplish, I have no clue. I am not looking for money, but I also think the company needs to change the products used to "treat" the interiors of cars. This is a family type vehicle and extremely popular. I honestly have no clue, I will see what the test results say for chemicals.
The manufacturers don't "treat" the interior of the cars, rather, those chemicals are present in the material used to make the cars' interiors. Frankly, I haven't seen a study showing any long-term effects, and I haven't heard a huge uproar about it either. It may just be that your dad's health deteriorated. Speak to a local attorney about the matter. Take all the medical records you can come up with to the attorney for review.

quincy

There are numerous complaints, investigations, lawsuits and class action suits filed against Ford over an exhaust problem noted since 2012 in its Ford Explorers. Carbon monoxide leaks into the cabins of these vehicles resulting in symptoms similar to what the father experienced.

If there is a problem with the vehicle (any vehicle), a product liability attorney would be the one to contact for a personal review.

Zigner

There are numerous complaints, investigations, lawsuits and class action suits filed against Ford over an exhaust problem noted since 2012 in its Ford Explorers. Carbon monoxide leaks into the cabins of these vehicles resulting in symptoms similar to what the father experienced.
Good catch. Yes, this would seem a more likely scenario.

quincy

2018. He bought it in October 2017.
There have been no recalls on the 2018 Sportages (yet) so you might have a difficult time trying to connect your father's death to any KIA defect.

You can have a product liability attorney personally review your father's medical history and KIA complaints to see if any legal action is worth pursuing. I suspect there is not.

I am sorry to hear about your father's death. The loss of a parent is always hard, regardless of circumstances.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">