• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New home Carrier heat pump system does not meet published specifications.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rblant

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Alabama

Lengthy but will have all the facts:

I built a new home in south Alabama and installed the best Heating/cooling system available on the market. It is a Carrier Infinity 5 stage heat pump, 4 zone system with a variable speed air-handler. The equipment and system is fully communicating and the installed coast was $25,000 ~ 2x of a conventional system.

I have a critical room in the home that needs to be maintained at 65° in evening for my wife.

I am a retired ME with an HVAC background and spent a week or more looking at equipment specifications, performance and reading Carrier’s technical literature eventually settling on Carrier 25VNA8 Infinity 4 ton unit.

I contacted a local contractor who represented themselves as a “Factory Authorized Dealer” for Carrier which may be important. Factor authorized dealers have to meet exceptional standards to obtain the designation whereas other dealers do not and the do not have the additional training.

Unfortunately (possibly) I did my own load calculations and designed the system ductwork. The contractor also did their own load calculations but not the duct design. They recommended a 5 ton system but I concluded a 4 ton system was sufficient and it was installed. It easily meets the demand in heating and cooling. Without a lot of detail the 4 ton system supplies 1,200 CFM of conditioned air and the 5 ton will supply approx. 1,500 CFM.

The manufacturer states in all of the literature and technical data that the 25VNA8 Infinity system is capable of running in stage 1 heating or cooling which is 1 ton (25% capacity - approx. 325 CFM). AND that the unit will provide cooling down to 40° outside air temperatures after which it is locked out.

The issue: All duct systems a designed to carry a certain volume of air (CFM) at a properly design velocity so as to deliver that air to remote points within the home with minimal noise and acceptable static pressures. As the CFM increases in the duct system the noise and static pressure will increase exponentially making the space noisy and uncomfortable.

Duct systems are carefully designed and sized to carry the requested CFM at proper velocity and static pressures with a safety margin of approximately 50% or 150% of the desired volume.

Carrier specifies the subject equipment will operate in cooling mode down to an outside temperature of 40°F. This means the calculated minimum CFM the system will deliver in this case is 414 CFM. All of the system trunks are designed to carry 700 CFM maximum, well within any margin of error.

What Carrier deliberately failed to state in any of their technical documentation, brochures or at classes with their dealers is that the equipment actually will not stage down to 25% if the outside air temperature is below 60°. It will only run in stage 2 or greater which will exceed the design volume of all of the individual trunks lines ultimately causing a system shutdown.

Carrier also failed to state in any of their technical literature that the system will only run in cooling mode at a minimum stage 4 if the outside temperature is between 55° and 40°. This means that every trunk line in the zones would need the capability to carry the full system volume of 1,200 CFM and deliver it into a typical 500 square foot zone – impossible and it would be similar to a hurricane if it were possible. Carrier held this knowledge closely and their top technical people were unaware of it.

The problem I have is Carrier will not modify their software to make this system work so I am left with a new home and no heat or air conditioning 4 months out of the year. I spent over 100 hours figuring out and documenting the system and finally figured out what was occurring. A senior tech on the west coast managed to get me a chart from Carrier showing exactly what I had concluded and verifying that Carrier was aware of the limitation.

After 3 months of no support from the contractor or the distributor providing technical support I contacted Carrier on their support line. I was assigned a case number and provided them with a detailed report complete with photographs. They contacted the distribution support team and my claim was verified – I was correct. I was told that they had sent it on to Carrier Engineering and there it sits.

It will cost approximately $85,000 to remove their equipment and replace it with a smaller 3 unit system plus provide me housing during the construction. It may cost more and it may take more than a month for the work since the home is now finished.

Couple of questions and I will say if I need legal I have likely already lost:

Has Carrier committer consumer fraud by not disclosing the limitation of the equipment and misrepresenting the specifications that I obviously relied on to design the system?

Is fraud the correct issue or is there something different?

I don’t have much money left after the build (I’m 70 also) and the last thing I need is a high dollar lawyer who may or may not know what they are doing if they go up against Carrier (huge company).

How do I find out who can receive process service for Carrier who’s parent company is United Technologies.

Are punitive damages available in this type of case? If so, I may find an attorney to take it on contingency. All I want is a working system that I paid for.

All other advice is appreciated … other than a window air conditioner … lol.

Thank you

FlyingRon

To answer the easy question. Carrier is indeed part of United Technologies Corporation whose registered agent is:

THE CORPORATION TRUST COMPANY
CORPORATION TRUST CENTER 1209 ORANGE ST
City: WILMINGTON County: New Castle
State: DE Postal Code: 19801
Phone: 302-658-7581

It's not the job of the manufacturer to educate you. In fact, you were told to get the larger unit but you were the one who thought you new better.
Even if their literature was in error, that doesn't make it fraud.
There's no way you're getting "punitive damages."
Even if Carrier was at fault, all you'd get would be the actual damage (cost of the unit).

No attorney is likely to take this on contingency. The chances of prevailing are slim and even if they did, their percentage of the fees likely isn't going to be enough to cover their costs.
You're not getting "the working system you'd paid for" either. Specific performance is rare, typically done only when there is no other equitable solution.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Perhaps your situation requires the use of multiple air conditioning systems...

LdiJ

He could get a very nice portable AC for around 300.00 to 350.00. Roll it out of the closet when you need it, roll it back into the closet when you don't.

xylene

Your system as described is undersized with regards to the tonnage, air handler and duct capacity.

That's not Carriers fault. Though I do agree there specs are misleading, it wouldn't matter.

You should put in a mini-split in the critical room to ensure temp and as a backup.

Something to try would be to also spoof, fool, by-pass or disable the the outdoor air temp sensor during the problematic cool weather. This could be done very crudely with an insulated cover and something like a light bulb or fish tank heater or something as technical as a dummy module rigged to report nothing but 81 degrees 24/7 365 if you know what I'm saying...

ALSO - I have no idea what the consequences for energy efficiency and compressor life would be to do this.

Heat pumps are notorious problematic for 'works great and safe energy except when it doesn't work' :);):eek:

Not to pry, does you spouse by any chance suffer from MS? Either way, you are not alone in needing AC that exceeds the needs of the average "'72 is fine' when it is hot out" AC system. I wish you all the best.

Last edited:

Zigner

He could get a very nice portable AC for around 300.00 to 350.00. Roll it out of the closet when you need it, roll it back into the closet when you don't.
True, but it might not meet his particular needs...

rblant

Well thanks for the reply I guess and yes - she has MS and I need the cool room, but besides the point.

You have made a few false assumptions. The unit is CORRECTLY sized and works perfectly when it is above 60°. It will cool the room to 65° easily when it is 100° outside but not when it is 60°. It is spec'd to work down to 40° and it does NOT. Consequently it will lock out and durring the evening the room will warm up to 70-72° which is the problem. We get 4 months of this type weather. That certainly is Carriers fault.

If you had any experience with mini-splits you would gag at the thought of hanging that wart on your wall in a new $500K home ... LOL. Mini's are terrible, very difficult or impossible to keep the wheel clean and just not a good solution for anything.

Thanks again

Your system as described is undersized with regards to the tonnage, air handler and duct capacity.

That's not Carriers fault. Though I do agree there specs are misleading, it wouldn't matter.

You should put in a mini-split in the critical room to ensure temp and as a backup.

Something to try would be to also spoof, fool, by-pass or disable the the outdoor air temp sensor during the problematic cool weather. This could be done very crudely with an insulated cover and something like a light bulb or fish tank heater or something as technical as a dummy module rigged to report nothing but 81 degrees 24/7 365 if you know what I'm saying...

ALSO - I have no idea what the consequences for energy efficiency and compressor life would be to do this.

Heat pumps are notorious problematic for 'works great and safe energy except when it doesn't work' :);):eek:

Not to pry, does you spouse by any chance suffer from MS? Either way, you are not alone in needing AC that exceeds the needs of the average "'72 is fine' when it is hot out" AC system. I wish you all the best.

rblant

Well I see you haven't changed your ways FlyingRon and still offer the same snarly unhelpful replies. I visited this sight many years ago and got some good advice. I still recognize some of the names like yours, Quincy and Zigner who were generally helpful.

I did know better than the contractor and that is why I bought a 4 ton instead of a 5 ton. I'm a professional and it works perfectly when it is 60° + -- read it again.

It is indeed the manufacturers responsibility to publish accurate specifications and not deliberately false ones. I don't need an education - just the facts and I will decide.

Their published literature is more than incorrect and after research it has been like this for years. It withholds important, critical, information that Carrier had in-hand and no reasonable engineer would ever select this equipment with that information. In this case a 2 stage unit would have been used with low ambient cooling ability.

I did not know if punitive was available and the reason for the question. Compensatory are always available.

Specific performance - out on a limb with that one and I have Never seen that awarded even if it was justified.

I agree - if punitive is not available there isn't a chance in heck an attorney would get involved unless they could get plenty from the plaintiff.

To answer the easy question. Carrier is indeed part of United Technologies Corporation whose registered agent is:

THE CORPORATION TRUST COMPANY
CORPORATION TRUST CENTER 1209 ORANGE ST
City: WILMINGTON County: New Castle
State: DE Postal Code: 19801
Phone: 302-658-7581

It's not the job of the manufacturer to educate you. In fact, you were told to get the larger unit but you were the one who thought you new better.
Even if their literature was in error, that doesn't make it fraud.
There's no way you're getting "punitive damages."
Even if Carrier was at fault, all you'd get would be the actual damage (cost of the unit).

No attorney is likely to take this on contingency. The chances of prevailing are slim and even if they did, their percentage of the fees likely isn't going to be enough to cover their costs.
You're not getting "the working system you'd paid for" either. Specific performance is rare, typically done only when there is no other equitable solution.

rblant

That was my original design idea but there is no 1 ton split system made that produces enough static pressure to carry the air down 50' of duct work. 1 Ton is ~ 325 -350 CFM and all most zone will require. So I opted for their best and made it into a 4 zone system which is a perfect fit if the equipment meets specification.

Zigner

It's unfortunate that you designed the system instead of relying on their expertise. You would then have more recourse against company that designed and installed it.

rblant

You started with an invalid position.

The system is accurately sized, the air handler communicates and provides the correct airflow based on the condenser stage and the duct capacity for each zone is designed to carry 150% of the needed volume ... industry standard. All of the trunk lines are 12" and they will carry ~ 700 CFM at reasonable static and velocity. My largest zone only requires about 475 CFM

I can easily trick the OAT sensor with a simple 1¢ resistor placed in parallel with their thermistor. And I can make a simple Pic processor based unit to lay the resistor in at certain temps as you suggest. Easier for Carrier to fix their problem then I'm not having warranty issues.

Yes - MS, but not too bad yet

rblant

It's unfortunate that you designed the system instead of relying on their expertise. You would then have more recourse against company that designed and installed it.
Their expertise was not there and the reason I designed it. If I had used the 5 ton the "recommended" I would have a much bigger problem.

I agree they will likely get a pass since I did the design but I had far too much invested to let them screw it up. I also had a very hard time finding this contractor ... most of the others pull their teeth instead of going to the dentist !!

But I think I've got the picture now

Zigner

I've just re-read this thread. Frankly, aside from continuing to push this matter up the ladder at Carrier, your best bet might be just what LdiJ suggested. A portable air conditioner for the affected room for the four months of the year that you need it. It's going to cost you thousands (if not tens-of-thousands) of dollars to pursue this in court, in addition to the cost of the new system that you will have to shoulder, versus $500-$1,000 and a couple dozen nights a year of using the portable unit.

xylene

You started with an invalid position.

The system is accurately sized, the air handler communicates and provides the correct airflow based on the condenser stage and the duct capacity for each zone is designed to carry 150% of the needed volume ... industry standard. All of the trunk lines are 12" and they will carry ~ 700 CFM at reasonable static and velocity. My largest zone only requires about 475 CFM
No, you need year round cooling in a room that requires 50 foot duct run in with equipment designed for max minimization of annualized energy bills. Our opines on mini splits differ

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">