• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Newspaper delivery problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ejd

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois.

In our two adjacent cities, there is one newspaper, and delivery is contracted out to individuals. Is there anything in contract law, or general law, that stipulates how newspaper delivery is to be carried out? Specifically, can I insist on delivery ON my front porch, preferably within six feet of the door? Or does anywhere on my property constitute delivery?

As an unrelated point of interest, is there law governing what constitutes "delivery", e.g., packages (USP, UPS, FedEx)? Packages left on the porch can easily be stolen, in which case who is legally responsible?

LdiJ

In our two adjacent cities, there is one newspaper, and delivery is contracted out to individuals. Is there anything in contract law, or general law, that stipulates how newspaper delivery is to be carried out? Specifically, can I insist on delivery ON my front porch, preferably within six feet of the door? Or does anywhere on my property constitute delivery?
You can specify where you want it, and can choose to discontinue receiving the paper if they do not deliver it where you want it, but in most instances I am aware of as long as it on your property its properly delivered.

As an unrelated point of interest, is there law governing what constitutes "delivery", e.g., packages (USP, UPS, FedEx)? Packages left on the porch can easily be stolen, in which case who is legally responsible?
Each of those organizations have their own rules/procedures for delivery. Most of them automatically insure packages up to a certain level, and the shippers of packages often insure them beyond that level, so all in all, most people are going to get some form of compensation if a package goes astray.

quincy

Here is a link to an older (1998) Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press story about a rather interesting case out of Illinois (Community Service Newspapers, Inc. v. Village of Creve Coeur):

https://www.rcfp.org/browse-media-law-resources/news/newspaper-delivery-cannot-be-limited-local-litter-ordinance

The Village of Creve Coeur had a litter ordinance that it tried to use to prevent newspapers from depositing their papers on people's lawns. The Court addressed the newspapers' First Amendment rights, found that the ordinance violated the Illinois Constitution.

The story suggests some ways people can address newspaper delivery issues.

Last edited:

paddywakk

Nowadays, at least in my area, papers are delivered by adults who must deliver by 7:30 am or the consumer can call it in as late. This means they are out by 4 am or so, throwing the paper from the window of a car. I doubt you can force them to bring it to your door.

As for packages, you can always get a PO box so it won't be left by the door.

quincy

Nowadays, at least in my area, papers are delivered by adults who must deliver by 7:30 am or the consumer can call it in as late. This means they are out by 4 am or so, throwing the paper from the window of a car. I doubt you can force them to bring it to your door.

As for packages, you can always get a PO box so it won't be left by the door.
Our area has changed from youngsters delivering door-to-door to adult delivery drivers, as well - although most homeowners who still have newspapers delivered to their homes have newspaper boxes installed by their mailboxes so there is no longer the tossing of papers onto yards or into bushes.

FlyingRon

We used to have an unsolicited local paper thrown in our lawn once a week despite requests for it to stop. Since the publisher was on my way to work, I'd pick up the sodden day old paper and fling it back at them. Totally ineffective, but mildly satisfying.

quincy

We used to have an unsolicited local paper thrown in our lawn once a week despite requests for it to stop. Since the publisher was on my way to work, I'd pick up the sodden day old paper and fling it back at them. Totally ineffective, but mildly satisfying.
Haha. The unsolicited papers we used to receive inevitably were tossed into a puddle at the end of our driveway - and we actually had a box for newspapers.

I discovered that moving far outside the city limits eliminated the problem for us. No one wants to waste gas driving to our house. :)

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Bottom line: If you are looking for a law that says you can require the newspaper to be delivered to one specific location and take legal action if it is not, no such law exists.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">