• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is Promissory Note Legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DSIDES

What is the name of your state? FL
I am buying my sister's share of our parents house, which was left to us after they died. we drew up a promissory note, we both signed it and had it notarized. Is this considered a legal document in Florida for my debt owed to her?

Last edited:

DSIDES said:
What is the name of your state? FL
I AM BUYING MY SISTER'S SHARE OF OUR PARENTS HOUSE, WHICH WAS LEFT TO US AFTER THEY DIED. WE DREW UP A PROMISSORY NOTE, WE BOTH SIGNED IT AND WE HAD IT NOTARIZED. IS THIS CONSIDERED A LEGAL DOCUMENT IN FLORIDA FOR MY DEBT OWED TO HER?

What? I can't hear you?

Turn off your caps lock and tell me why you want to know?

DSIDES said:
Sorry for the caps!

Thanks for editing your post. What kind of promissary note was this? Was it drawn up on the back of a paper bag with lipstick, or was it really really REALLY written well?

Not that it really matters much, because having it notarized would make a judge look at it as being an agreement between two people witnessed.

However... (there is always a however. :( ) When dealing with Real Estate there are more "i's" to dot and "t's" to cross than what it seems we have here.

Now for the $20,000 dollar question... who wants out? :(

DSIDES

No one really wants 'out', but my sister is pushing me to get a loan and pay her off early. I told her that she signed the promissory note with the payment schedule on it. I just want to make sure that I can hold her to the terms of the note. It was a well written note, not on a paper bag! Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">