• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seller Changed Mind About Transaction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Montanarmoss

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Montana
My friend died and left a bunch of junk cars and tools. His wife sold some of it to me and we negotiated sale at $3300. I got a car for $1800 that no one at Portland car show would touch for that amount last year. Another friend of hers heard I got the car and told her she was cheated, saying the car is worth $7000 or more. Now, she wants everything I bought back. I live 500 miles away. She and her other friends are threatening me harm if I don't bring the stuff back. Problem is, she says I took more than I did. I can't bring back what I don't have. She claims I broke into her house for keys to her garage and took more stuff. She says she filed police report and told them I did it. We don't have a written agreement but I have a witness to the transaction and to what I took home. How do I handle this defamation of character and threats? If I return what I bought, I don't think I'll get my money back. She wants me to deal with a guy who sent me a really nasty voicemail. I sent her a list of what I took and asked her to agree to it before I return. She won't.

justalayman

Did she provide a title properly endorsed by a representative of the owner’s estate? If not, how can you claim ownership of the car?

To the overall issue;
It’s up to you to do whatever you want. If you paid for what you took, then argue it out in court if need be if you want. If you return the property taken and she refuses to refund the money; she her.

I hope you realize how foolish you were in not reducing the agreement to a quickly written document. All it has to be was a scribbled receipt stating you paid her [$XXXX.xx] in exchange for [list of items purchased].

HRZ

I sort of get it ..and have seen piles of tools sell at estate auctions for almost nothing and old cars with fancy book values sell at 1/4 of any such number .could have would have might have sold for more ...but did not.

Sellers remorse is well know...but it is not proof of any illegal steps ....and Would think loss of a loved one invites lots of remorse.

Personally I would shut it off and not communicate ...anything you do is likely to add more fuel to her fires . And no more lists either.

ADdressing nasty comments about your reputation is unlikely to do anything but add fuel .

I don't know about legal weight or needs ....but if the witness makes a handwritten description of sale and payment events and dates and signs it ..it might help reduce changing story issues .

Hindsight about a receipt for a list of stuff is great .....but there seems no doubt you paid a bundle of money for a pile of stuff....and I doubt any district attorney is willing to commit public resources to prove otherwise .

Whether you got proper title for car is hard to divine

adjusterjack

Personally I would shut it off and not communicate ...anything you do is likely to add more fuel to her fires . And no more lists either.

ADdressing nasty comments about your reputation is unlikely to do anything but add fuel .
Agree.

No more contact, no more talking. Period.

And if law enforcement ever contacts you, keep your mouth shut and call a lawyer.

Here's why:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GjCJ6Xqjg0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FENubmZGj8

The book is available on Amazon for a few bucks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">