• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ticket reimbursement if area is too dangerous to travel to?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tenshi_R

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? wa

I was wondering if theres anything we can do to get a refund from booking company like trip advisor if the area were traveling to becomes too dangerous?

we planned a trip to playa del Carmen but recently I keep seeing more and more warnings about that specific area and cartel turf war
last year over 200 people were killed there. the media and tourist agencies keep it low profile but the government issued a warning for us citizens to avoid going there

we wanted to change tickets to go to Hawaii but the booking agency is charging us the cancellation fees and all kinds of fees where it would cost us double to go to a different place and we cant afford that.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights

I was wondering if theres anything we can do to get a refund from booking company like trip advisor if the area were traveling to becomes too dangerous?

we planned a trip to playa del Carmen but recently I keep seeing more and more warnings about that specific area and cartel turf war
last year over 200 people were killed there. the media and tourist agencies keep it low profile but the government issued a warning for us citizens to avoid going there

we wanted to change tickets to go to Hawaii but the booking agency is charging us the cancellation fees and all kinds of fees where it would cost us double to go to a different place and we cant afford that.
It depends on the terms of your contract. But as the issues with travel to Mexico are well-known, you'd be hard pressed to convince them you didn't (or at least, shouldn't) know. The time to research an area is BEFORE you book tickets....

Just Blue

How many people died due to violence in Washington (Seattle) last year?

quincy

I believe it is the Playa del Carmen neighborhood and the ferry between Playa del Carmen and Cozumel that government officials are prohibited from traveling to and the entire area is at a level 2 warning (increased caution).

You could ask to reschedule your trip for a later date if the terms of your contract do not allow for a refund or perhaps change your tickets from Playa del Carmen to a safer area of Mexico.

There are, and have been, travel warnings for several areas of Mexico for some time due to the crime and violence. Here is a link from the US Department of State to travel advisories for Mexico: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/mexico-travel-advisory.html

Last edited:

PayrollHRGuy

The short answer is no, unless the flight has been canceled the booking agent nore the airline aren't responsible for a situation beyond their control.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">