• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What to do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RedFoxAlpha

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

I work for a AG company that also does small engine and lawn mower repair. 05-18-2015 I paid for my lawn mower repair $883.64. The mechanic told me it accidentally got left outside and now would need a carburetor rebuild, which he said he would do and it wouldn't cost me anything extra. Well it's almost 3 years later and I am still waiting for the mower to be fixed. I ask him about it from time to time and he tells me he's busy but will get to it as soon as he can. As I stated we work for the same 6 man company. My wife gets on me every year when spring hits. I have since bought 2 push mowers to take the place of the rider. However I know she is right and 3 years is long enough. So I plan to confront him again tomorrow, I am concerned he will just get pissed and say forget it, and not fix the mower. If that turns out to be the case is there any legal action I can pursue to get my money back and get my mower repaired? :(

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

I work for a AG company that also does small engine and lawn mower repair. 05-18-2015 I paid for my lawn mower repair $883.64. The mechanic told me it accidentally got left outside and now would need a carburetor rebuild, which he said he would do and it wouldn't cost me anything extra. Well it's almost 3 years later and I am still waiting for the mower to be fixed. I ask him about it from time to time and he tells me he's busy but will get to it as soon as he can. As I stated we work for the same 6 man company. My wife gets on me every year when spring hits. I have since bought 2 push mowers to take the place of the rider. However I know she is right and 3 years is long enough. So I plan to confront him again tomorrow, I am concerned he will just get pissed and say forget it, and not fix the mower. If that turns out to be the case is there any legal action I can pursue to get my money back and get my mower repaired? :(
You let this go three years? You could have replaced the carburetor with a brand new one twice over by this time. You're not going to get your money back, but you might be able to convince a judge to pay him for the cost of the rebuild on the existing carb, although, replacing it probably won't be much different in cost once you consider the additional labor involved in rebuilding it.

Get your mower and figure out what needs to be done. Then you can decide what further steps you want to take.

RedFoxAlpha

""but you might be able to convince a judge to pay him for the cost of the rebuild on the existing carb"" I do not intend to pay him more money for a carb the was messed up by his direct neglect. the fact that I paid him for the initial repairs before I had the mower in hand. Was only due to the understanding that the carb repair would be done in a timely manner. As I stated it is a 6 man company, I am 3rd on the totem pole he is second. It was never my intention to let it go this long,, trying to keep the peace in the shop and get my mower repaired without losing my cool or my job. I spoke with him again today and got the same response, it just needs the carb rebuilt and he will get to it asap. I spoke with the boss on the subject and reiterated I had been waiting 3 yrs, didn't seem phased by it.

quincy

""but you might be able to convince a judge to pay him for the cost of the rebuild on the existing carb"" I do not intend to pay him more money for a carb the was messed up by his direct neglect. the fact that I paid him for the initial repairs before I had the mower in hand. Was only due to the understanding that the carb repair would be done in a timely manner. As I stated it is a 6 man company, I am 3rd on the totem pole he is second. It was never my intention to let it go this long,, trying to keep the peace in the shop and get my mower repaired without losing my cool or my job. I spoke with him again today and got the same response, it just needs the carb rebuilt and he will get to it asap. I spoke with the boss on the subject and reiterated I had been waiting 3 yrs, didn't seem phased by it.
If you want your mower, it might be time for you to transport it to a place that will do the repairs. Save the receipt in case you want to sue later.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">