• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

art recreation law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

clong7

I have been asked to create a glass mosaic for somebody of a copyrighted image. Is it OK to recreate a copyrighted image in a different medium?

I've also had a request for a mosaic of vincent van gogh's 'starry night'. I believe this image is public domain. If it is not, could I get in any trouble making the mosaic? Who would own such an image of a painter dead over 100 years?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

divgradcurl

This particular painting is public domain, and therefore you can freely recreate it. The general rule is that anything created prior to 1923 is public domain, but there are a few exceptions that can move this date earlier (very few) or later (more often).

clong7

If I were asked to use a different image that was not public domain, would it be legal to recreate it in glass mosaic form? For example, a copyrighted image such as a sports team logo?

quincy

For that, you would need to obtain permission from the holder of the copyright/trademark. Sports logos, sports names, sports colors, sports slogans - are all protected and the rights are guarded vigorously.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">