• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mass Litigation Suit for "This Ain't Avatar"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

goldtower27

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama. Litigation filed in Texas.

Hello, and thanks beforehand.
My little brother had been using a P2P program called "uTorrent" and had downloaded the adult film in the title. Myself and our single mom were completely unaware until our ISP (Charter) sent us the complaint filed in the Northern District of Texas.

Recently, the attorney of the plaintiff Evan Stone, just sent us a settlement letter asking for $2000 by March 1st. After that it would be "no less than $2500." Neither my mom nor I could afford nearly that much: at the most $750 due to her medical condition.

Questions
  1. According to this article: [NSFW Link: AVN Website] AVN - Time Warner Says No to Massive Outing of ?Does? in LFP Lawsuit , Evan Stone had been let go by the plaintiff, LFP Internet Group. Although we didn't object to subpeona, so he has our information (hence the letter.) Is this an extortion letter for easy money? Or is he still working for LFP?
  2. We live in Alabama, and seem to be outside of the jurisdiction of the North District Court. Would Evan Stone not have to file a suit in my state to be able to sue me?
  3. According to some research I've done, mass litigation suits like this don't seem to go too far. The plaintiffs are looking for people that will immediately pay up and try to make a quick buck. Should I try to just ignore it and wait for the complaint to end? Or try to settle for the 750?
If this helps, I contacted www.melinelegal.com , and he said this
"Yes, I would wait and I would NOT settle at this time. Until a sheriff comes to your house and gives you an official copy of the complaint against you, there are no court deadlines for you to worry about. My understanding is that Evan Stone has not yet decided to pursue defendants OUTSIDE of Texas. Thus, lets wait and see what he does. Lets talk in about 2-3 weeks after we give Evan Stone and his client time to decide whether they want to pursue this case further.

Thank you for contacting me. So far, I have been able to help for free. Patience pays off in these cases. Most defendants are getting out for free."

Should I follow this advice?
ThanksWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama. Litigation filed in Texas.

Hello, and thanks beforehand.
My little brother had been using a P2P program called "uTorrent" and had downloaded the adult film in the title. Myself and our single mom were completely unaware until our ISP (Charter) sent us the complaint filed in the Northern District of Texas.

Recently, the attorney of the plaintiff Evan Stone, just sent us a settlement letter asking for $2000 by March 1st. After that it would be "no less than $2500." Neither my mom nor I could afford nearly that much: at the most $750 due to her medical condition.

Questions
  1. According to this article: [NSFW Link: AVN Website] AVN - Time Warner Says No to Massive Outing of ?Does? in LFP Lawsuit , Evan Stone had been let go by the plaintiff, LFP Internet Group. Although we didn't object to subpeona, so he has our information (hence the letter.) Is this an extortion letter for easy money? Or is he still working for LFP?
  2. We live in Alabama, and seem to be outside of the jurisdiction of the North District Court. Would Evan Stone not have to file a suit in my state to be able to sue me?
  3. According to some research I've done, mass litigation suits like this don't seem to go too far. The plaintiffs are looking for people that will immediately pay up and try to make a quick buck. Should I try to just ignore it and wait for the complaint to end? Or try to settle for the 750?
If this helps, I contacted www.melinelegal.com , and he said this
"Yes, I would wait and I would NOT settle at this time. Until a sheriff comes to your house and gives you an official copy of the complaint against you, there are no court deadlines for you to worry about. My understanding is that Evan Stone has not yet decided to pursue defendants OUTSIDE of Texas. Thus, lets wait and see what he does. Lets talk in about 2-3 weeks after we give Evan Stone and his client time to decide whether they want to pursue this case further.

Thank you for contacting me. So far, I have been able to help for free. Patience pays off in these cases. Most defendants are getting out for free."

Should I follow this advice?
ThanksWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
You shouldn't have stolen the movie. I guess what you "should" do doesn't really matter, does it?

You've contacted an attorney...if you don't believe him then contact another one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">