• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Modify copyrighted video

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Haniver

Hello,
I've seen videos in YouTube of TV shows where the uploader changes the original speed of the audio and doesn't show the original video in full screen, but shrinked, with a background around it. Then they receive money from advertising.
Is this legal? Can I just do that to the audio and video of copyrighted material and profit from it? Would I succeed in court if I get sued?

Haniver

Another thing...

If it is indeed legal, is it so for music videos? Can I just speed up a song and profit from its publishing?

quincy

Hello,
I've seen videos in YouTube of TV shows where the uploader changes the original speed of the audio and doesn't show the original video in full screen, but shrinked, with a background around it. Then they receive money from advertising.
Is this legal? Can I just do that to the audio and video of copyrighted material and profit from it? Would I succeed in court if I get sued?
Are you in the US, Haniver? If so, what is the name of your state? If not, what is the name of your country?

Altering or modifying copyright-protected works can still infringe on the copyright holders' rights. The works that result can be viewed as derivatives. Creating derivatives is one of the exclusive rights granted to the holder of a copyright.

In addition to infringing on copyrights, the videos can also infringe on trademark rights. Television shows (their titles, characters, character names, catch phrases, etc) are often protected as trademarks.

And the people who portray the various characters on television shows have publicity rights that protect their names and images and other aspects of their persona (e.g., voices) from unauthorized use by others.

If someone wants to use rights-protected material, especially for commercial gain, they should seek out permission from the holder of the rights in the material. For television shows, you often have several rights-holders. If permission is not granted, you should not use the material.

To use rights-protected works without permission puts the unauthorized user at risk of facing a costly lawsuit. How big of a risk depends on several factors, including the litigiousness of the rights-holder. Whether anyone can successfully defend against a law suit depends on the specific facts. A lawsuit loss seems more likely than a lawsuit win with what you have described.

This is the same for music videos.

Last edited:

Haniver

Thank you

Thank you very much for the advise, quincy. I'll pass on that way of making some easy bucks, then.

quincy

Thank you very much for the advise, quincy. I'll pass on that way of making some easy bucks, then.
You're welcome, Haniver. I appreciate the thanks. :)

And I think you are smart to find another way to make money.

Those who are currently trying to capitalize off the creative works of others without authorization from the owner of rights could discover they lose all of their profits to a lawsuit, and in addition find their bank accounts drained and their assets (present and future) attached. It is best to avoid all risk of a lawsuit when the risk is an easy one to avoid.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">