• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

no signed publishing contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

juneausdad

no music publishing contract?

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Maine

About 12 years ago, when I lived in New York, a fellow band member who was up and coming in the music field said he wanted to be publisher for a few songs that I had written for the band. I said ok, and before I knew it, he had copywrited the songs (form PA) with me as the writer and him as publisher. We never had any signed publishing deal and had never discussed any agreement in detail regarding terms, percentage, etc. - just a casual "Hey, I want to publish your songs.", "Sure, go ahead!" sort of situation.

Anyway, he never did anything with the songs and now, 12 years later, I want to cut a song demo and shop one or two of those songs around. My question is: Do I have to try to get him to release me from a publishing deal that never existed on paper? There was some animosity at the end of our involvement in the band, so I don't think he would agree to release me - just out of spite. Please help! Thanks.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">