• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Interlock device drains battery

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kristim

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin
I have had my interlock device for a little over 2 months of a 12 month contract. A week into having it, the device froze up and I got it replaced. Had it in again a few weeks later as it was honking before I could even pull over to blow. Or when I picked it up and started blowing, it would honk. I am not drinking nor consuming anything that would make it honk. In order to get it to stop honking, I have to pull over, turn car off, reblow and my car will not start. I was jumped 3 times the previous week. My battery was 5 years old. I bought a new one. Device worked fine, no honking for 1 day, that is it. I have had to get jumped 4 times as I was taking it in to be recalibrated. they said nothing is wrong with it. A mechanic checked out the alternator and my new battery, both are good. The device has to be wired wrong. Every time I honk I have to shut off car. My car then has to be jumped. I invested in a self jump apparatus. I do not know how I can continue to do this until January! My jeep is a manuel, so that makes it hard when it clicks to let me know I will need to blow shortly when I am on the interstate, an exit or stuck in traffic. I had an appointment yesterday. It honked, pulled over, turned it off, blew fine, would not start.. so jumped myself, a mile later it went off again and I blew, but it honked and I let it honk for 6 miles until I got to my appt. I can not keep jumping my car. It is unsafe. I can't even imagine driving more than 8 or 10 miles omg. This device is so unsafe and frustrating. It sucks the fun out of driving. I can see it honk if there is alcohol, by all means honk... but to blow wrong, not hard enough, or suck long or hard enough is insane to make my car have to be turned off to stop the honking. I blew into it when it was honking, does not turn the horn off, just says drive safely.... right. I am going to piss some road rager off some day and will get shot as they will think I am honking at them. UGH. SUPER MAD AND FRUSTRATED.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin
I have had my interlock device for a little over 2 months of a 12 month contract. A week into having it, the device froze up and I got it replaced. Had it in again a few weeks later as it was honking before I could even pull over to blow. Or when I picked it up and started blowing, it would honk. I am not drinking nor consuming anything that would make it honk. In order to get it to stop honking, I have to pull over, turn car off, reblow and my car will not start. I was jumped 3 times the previous week. My battery was 5 years old. I bought a new one. Device worked fine, no honking for 1 day, that is it. I have had to get jumped 4 times as I was taking it in to be recalibrated. they said nothing is wrong with it. A mechanic checked out the alternator and my new battery, both are good. The device has to be wired wrong. Every time I honk I have to shut off car. My car then has to be jumped. I invested in a self jump apparatus. I do not know how I can continue to do this until January! My jeep is a manuel, so that makes it hard when it clicks to let me know I will need to blow shortly when I am on the interstate, an exit or stuck in traffic. I had an appointment yesterday. It honked, pulled over, turned it off, blew fine, would not start.. so jumped myself, a mile later it went off again and I blew, but it honked and I let it honk for 6 miles until I got to my appt. I can not keep jumping my car. It is unsafe. I can't even imagine driving more than 8 or 10 miles omg. This device is so unsafe and frustrating. It sucks the fun out of driving. I can see it honk if there is alcohol, by all means honk... but to blow wrong, not hard enough, or suck long or hard enough is insane to make my car have to be turned off to stop the honking. I blew into it when it was honking, does not turn the horn off, just says drive safely.... right. I am going to piss some road rager off some day and will get shot as they will think I am honking at them. UGH. SUPER MAD AND FRUSTRATED.
You need to have your device replaced. Yours is not really a legal question.

xylene

Get a battery disconnect switch for your battery terminal.

Disconnect your horn or replace it with a quiet horn and wire up an auxiliary horn (lots of cars have them)

quincy

Get a battery disconnect switch for your battery terminal.

Disconnect your horn or replace it with a quiet horn and wire up an auxiliary horn (lots of cars have them)
S/he needs to be careful not to alter the device. To do so is a reportable violation. It is best if kristim returns to the installer for a fix to the problem.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
S/he needs to be careful not to alter the device. To do so is a reportable violation. It is best if kristim returns to the installer for a fix to the problem.
OP already has done that and the installer claims there is no problem. If the installer won't help, she should talk to a different mechanic for an opinion, in writing, that there is a problem with the installation. As you pointed out, this should be done without disturbing the unit.

quincy

OP already has done that and the installer claims there is no problem. If the installer won't help, she should talk to a different mechanic for an opinion, in writing, that there is a problem with the installation. As you pointed out, this should be done without disturbing the unit.
Having a different device installed might be a solution. But the current device should not be altered in any way without knowledge of the installer. I would worry about having another mechanic work on it.

The installer, as a note, should have a record of all times the lights and horn activated. Here is a link to the law: http://wisconsindot.gov/Documents/about-wisdot/who-we-are/dsp/iid-faq.pdf

Last edited:

Zigner

Having a different device installed might be a solution. But the current device should not be altered in any way without knowledge of the installer. I would worry about having another mechanic work on it.
I totally agree - but if the current installer won't oblige, then the OP is going to need the opinion of another mechanic. I think that an electrical problem can probably be diagnosed without tampering with or working on the interlock itself. Basically, the mechanic has to get to the point of saying "that's the only thing it can be."

quincy

I totally agree - but if the current installer won't oblige, then the OP is going to need the opinion of another mechanic. I think that an electrical problem can probably be diagnosed without tampering with or working on the interlock itself. Basically, the mechanic has to get to the point of saying "that's the only thing it can be."
From the Wisconsin link I provided, it says that if the IID company or service cannot or will not resolve a problem, the one ordered to have the IID should call (608)243-2946 or go to [email protected]. I would do that before having an independent mechanic attempt to fix the problem.

Zigner

From the Wisconsin link I provided, it says that if the IID company or service cannot or will not resolve a problem, the one ordered to have the IID should call (608)243-2946 or go to [email protected]. I would do that before having an independent mechanic attempt to fix the problem.
That sounds reasonable to me :)

quincy

btw, it is quite possible that new battery may not have enough cold cranking amps.
The installer seemed to think the battery was fine. Of course, the installer also was unable to detect a problem with the constantly honking Jeep ... so finding a new service company might be necessary. :)

quincy

Defective ground strap I bet.
You are right that it may have nothing to do with the IID but service to a vehicle that has an IID has to be done with care. Any disconnection or altering of the device (unintentional or not) can impact the driver in a way the driver would rather not be impacted. An IID-equipped vehicle should not be taken to the local mechanic for tinkering.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">