• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Plavix almost killed me!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bc42

New York

I had been taking Plavix for 6 years and was involved in a MC accident on 4/30/09 which resulted in a bad bruise to my right leg. My leg immediately bled internally and developed Compartment Syndrome which resulted in an immediate, emergency surgery to relieve internal pressure and save my leg. I've also had (4) subsequent surgeries and suffer from permanent disfigurement, pain and nerve damage. I will need further surgery to cosmetically repair my leg if possible. My surgeon was the first person to inform me that Plavix was responsible for the damage to my leg which was only badly bruised. I stopped taking Plavix with the approval of my surgeon, general practitioner and cardiologist in July '09. I was never aware of such serious complications of Plavix in regard to experiencing minor injuries and feel that neither the manufacturer of Plavix nor the FDA provided adequate disclosure to the consumer. Had I known that taking Plavix would place my life and limbs in such danger from such a simple thing as a bruise, I would have never had aggreed to take it! Are there any legal proceedings out there which includes complaints such as mine?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Actually, they do have warnings regarding trauma. Furthermore...it's an anti-clotting drug. It's doing what it's supposed to.

bc42

Actually, they do have warnings regarding trauma. Furthermore...it's an anti-clotting drug. It's doing what it's supposed to.
While I do appreciate your feedback, actually, the only warnings the manufacturers, Sanofi-Aventis and Bristol-Myer Squibb mention regarding trauma is that you may bruise more easily and Compartment Syndrome is not mentioned at all even though statistically it's occurrence is on the rise do to falling down injuries to the elderly on Plavix. They limit their warnings related to internal bleeding to the GI system and excess bleeding during surgery and immediately thereafter. They have received several FDA warning letters regarding false and misleading statements made in promotional materials for the blood thinner. These FDA letters clearly indicate that the manufacturers were more concerned with increasing sales, even at the expense of providing fair and accurate information to consumers and physicians. While the manufacturers do make statistical reference to excessive bleeding in general, they fail to mention that Plavix actually destroys platelets and that something as simple as a bruise may be life threatening! I do know that there are law firms taking on cases related to GI bleeding but my question still remains ************** Is anyone aware of any proceedings related to abnormal bleeding in areas other than the GI tract? ...... Thanks!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I got my information directly from the manufacturers web site. That means the info IS easily available.

bc42

Again, Thanks for your feedback but I am very familiar with the information contained on the manufacturers' web sites. Please don't post any more replies that do not address my question of ************** Is anyone aware of any proceedings that cover excessive bleeding because of Plavix to areas other than the GI tract? ...... Thanks!

lealea1005

How soon after the accident were you treated for your injury? Did you get treatment immediately or did you wait?

Last edited:

bc42

How soon after the accident were you treated for your injury? Did you get treatment immediately or did you wait?
I was removed via ambulance to a local hospital from the accident scene as my leg swelled to twice normal size in a matter of minutes and immediately transferred from the ER to a trauma center and was on the operating table in a matter of minutes after I arrived.

lealea1005

You had major trauma to your leg. You would have to prove that the Plavix was directly responsible for the compartment syndrome. The Surgeon's educated guess will not be enough. There are many instances of people with severe trauma to the extremeties developing compartment syndrome. Actually, just had a patient who was in a dirt bike accident have emergency surgery after developing compartment syndrome several weeks ago. He was not taking ANY medication.

As Zig already told you, increased bleeding after trauma is a well known adverse reaction with Plavix (or any other anticoagulant).

ecmst12

If you had NOT been taking the plavix, you would have been at serious risk of death from a blood clot. Would you have preferred that?

bc42

No Zinger, I really do appreciate your opinion and am not looking for people to tell me only what I want to hear. I'm not really looking for opinions however but am simply asking if anyone is aware of any legal proceedings that involve internal bleeding in areas other than the GI tract. There are many, many ongoing cases of litigation involving Plavix in relation to internal GI bleeds and Law Firms have recently started advertising for people who suffered internal bleeds due to Plavix. I have had contact with (3) such firms so far who told me that they are only handling abdominal, cranium, thoracic and GI internal bleeding Plavix cases. The bottom line is I suffered a slight bruise to the shin area of my right leg that turned immediately into compartment syndrome, resulted in (5) surgeries and a permanent disability (Limp, weakness, disfigurement, loss of feeling due to nerve damage) while still needing future surgeries to cosmetically repair my leg. I have had many injuries over the years having been a hockey/soccer/softball/tennis player into my early fifties and right up to the time I started taking Plavix but have never experienced anything like this injury since taking Plavix. Thanks again but my question remains.

bc42

And the answer is: What is a relative description or an exercise in semantics? **************.. If a "slight" or "bad" bruise requires (5) surgeries, one would think that it was neither a "slight" or "bad" bruise but rather a terrible one, wouldn't one? Anyway, I was told this was a good place to posit a rational question ..... I was misinformed.

lealea1005

I have had many injuries over the years having been a hockey/soccer/softball/tennis player into my early fifties and right up to the time I started taking Plavix but have never experienced anything like this injury since taking Plavix.
Well, of course not! You weren't on anticoagulant/antiplatelet therapy with the earlier injuries.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">