• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possible dental malpractice.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Andromache

A few months ago, I had an abcess tooth that required an emergency appointment with a dental surgeon. I thought at the time that my wisdom teeth were coming in. (I was 19 at that time and am 20 now.) When I saw the surgeon, he did a quick examination and declared that the tooth was abcessed and would have to come out that very day unless I wanted to spend a lot of money to save it. He then injected me with novacaine in the affected area. I then had a violently nauseous reaction and required oxygen to recover. Only afterwards, he handed me the surgery consent form which told me that some people will have a rare reaction to the novacaine injection. He removed the tooth, and the receptionist called a cab for me. As I was on my way out, they informed me that I owed them money. I was surprised to hear this since I am a member of Tricare, which entitled me to 100% emergency coverage no matter what. I was still nauseous and light-headed at the time, so I arranged to pay them at a later date. Recovering some 8 hours later, I realized that I may have a malpractice case. I would like some confirmation to see if my gut instinct was right.

A

Andromache

addendum

I neglected to mention that this was in New Mexico.

P

PamSJS

Dear Toothless;

In order to file a claim against the dentist, you would have to:

1) have suffered some type of injury

2) The injury must have been from an act of negligence

3) Another dentist would have to testify that Dentist #1 was
negligent.

A reaction to local anesthetic would not constitute a claim for dental malpractice, as it is a common side effect.

Stop grinding your teeth and forget about it....you don't have a case.

Pam

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">