• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I responsible for my child's medical bills? Why isn't her father responsible?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Izzybfizzy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

When I had my child, I was sent two medical bills. One in my name, one in hers and both were related what care we received for labor and delivery. I paid mine off immediately, and made small payments on hers here and there, but fell behind and it went to collections. Now it is on my credit report as collections, negatively affecting my credit score. Is this legal? Her father and I are together but not married, how is he not at all responsible for this bill on his credit? I have made a couple payments here and there to this collections agency. Should I stop paying and fight this to be taken off my credit report?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

When I had my child, I was sent two medical bills. One in my name, one in hers and both were related what care we received for labor and delivery. I paid mine off immediately, and made small payments on hers here and there, but fell behind and it went to collections. Now it is on my credit report as collections, negatively affecting my credit score. Is this legal? Her father and I are together but not married, how is he not at all responsible for this bill on his credit? I have made a couple payments here and there to this collections agency. Should I stop paying and fight this to be taken off my credit report?
Yes, it's legal.
You signed the paperwork saying you would be responsible for the bill.
The bill was incurred by the care of your daughter. Why should you not be responsible for the bill? :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">