• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being sued although account is paid in full

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justalayman

I was served papers, I have since paid the account off. Do I still need to go to court? In so, do I need an attorney?
Maybe

You didn’t include the state and specific (level) of court so it’s hard to be too specific but...

Start with contacting the attorney named as representing the plaintiff. If they aren’t aware of your transaction, tell them. If you paid in full (and at this point it is likely you owed court costs and probably attorneys fees. Did you pay anything above the actual debt that is included in the suit?), the attorney should file to dismiss the suit.

Watch the court docket to make sure he has. If he doesn’t, be sure to show up in court.

It wouldn’t be a bad idea to answer the complaint with the fact you have paid the debt and seek dismissal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">