• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being sued by a collection agency. Think I may have screwed up.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zebumoofoo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

I am being sued for medical debt that i owe. I have a court date tomorrow. I did not file a written response because I assumed all of the debt was mine and that i owed it. I found out today that part of that debt is from an unpaid worker's compensation claim (approved and recognized by my employer). Do i still have time to file an answer? Can i just give my answer if i choose to appear? Will i have recourse if a default judgement is granted? Also, can i get in trouble for not appearing (other than a default judgment). This would be the first date i am to meet in a court for this debt and the summons says if i don't appear then it will be a default judgement (nothing about contempt?).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">