• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Debt collection agency reporting on credit report before validating debt request

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sryder06

I live in Washington State and I received a collection notice from LVNV on 5/19/17. On the notice, it clearly states I have 30 days to respond or I am taking responsibility for the debt. I had planned on mailing a debt validation request to them next week (since I literally just received the notice a few days ago). I looked on my credit report and the collection agency is already reporting the debt on my credit report as of 4/1/17 but, I just got the original notice in the mail. I keep a close eye on my credit report and this agency was not on my credit report 3 days ago. I need advice on how to proceed. Thank you.

adjusterjack

I live in Washington State and I received a collection notice from LVNV on 5/19/17. On the notice, it clearly states I have 30 days to respond or I am taking responsibility for the debt. I had planned on mailing a debt validation request to them next week (since I literally just received the notice a few days ago). I looked on my credit report and the collection agency is already reporting the debt on my credit report as of 4/1/17 but, I just got the original notice in the mail. I keep a close eye on my credit report and this agency was not on my credit report 3 days ago.
Not sure what your point is. There is nothing wrong or illegal about putting a delinquency on your credit report before sending you a letter about it.

I need advice on how to proceed
Pay the debt is one option (if you owe it).

Debt validation doesn't change whether you owe the money or not.

If you don't have the money to pay it, it stays on your credit report.

FlyingRon

First off, if you are responsible for the debt, you are responsible whether you respond or not. If you are not responsible, your silence, despite what the letter says, doesn't make you liable for it. All it means is that the collection agency will not stop (not that they would stop anyway, other than the few FDCPA restrictions that they must follow).

The eligibility for the debt to be reported was fromt he day you INCURRED it. You get non-adverse entries from loans that are being paid as agreed. They neither need to warn you nor have your response to report adverse information. Validation is a pretty perfunctory step and only applies to further third-party collection efforts not to collection by the holder of the debt (which can be assigned) or credit reporting.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">