• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Debt Validation Response by collector did not provide information to validate debt.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tacoblel

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NE

I have sent a validation letter in response to a recent debt collection letter that I received that asked for the following information:

1. Agreement with the creditor that authorizes you to collect on this alleged debt
2. The agreement bearing my signature stating that I have agreed to assume the debt
3. Valid copies of the debt agreement stating the amount of the debt and interest charges
4. Proof that the Statute of Limitations has not expired
5. Complete payment history on this account along with an accounting of all additional charges being assessed
6. Show me that you are licensed to collect in my state; and
7. Your license numbers and Registered Agent

The debt collection agency has only responded with a print out of the amount owed with the name of the original creditor without address. All of the information provided about the original creditor just shows $0 owed and the debt collection agency claims this is due to them charging it off. However, it does not demonstrate original amount owed in debt. None of the information that I asked for is provided. Is there anything else I can do? Is there any way that they can report this to the credit bureaus since they have not provided the information that I have requested?

Also, it is outside of the statute of limitations in my state, so I am not concerned with being sued. I just do not want it reported to the credit bureaus as I do not believe it is a valid debt.

adjusterjack

The debt collection agency has only responded with a print out of the amount owed with the name of the original creditor without address.
Which is all that they are required to provide under the validation section 809 of the FDCPA:

https://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/rules/rulemaking-regulatory-reform-proceedings/fair-debt-collection-practices-act-text

Is there anything else I can do?
Yes, you can send written notice to the collection agency that you refuse to pay and demand that they cease all further communication. See Section 805(c).

Is there any way that they can report this to the credit bureaus since they have not provided the information that I have requested?

Also, it is outside of the statute of limitations in my state, so I am not concerned with being sued. I just do not want it reported to the credit bureaus as I do not believe it is a valid debt.
Yes, they can report it and I suggest you start checking your credit reports as the entry could very well be on them already and you'll just have to wait it out until the 7 years from default are up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">