• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

hayt hayt & landau sueing me???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BriaNeedsHelpxx

Can a Collection agency sue me? I live in Pa and I have not paid my credit card for atleast 3 years now. It start with me graduating college with a huge credit card bill and no means to pay it... I decided I would rather keep a roof over my head and food in my belly then pay. Now hayt hayt & landau says they are going to take me to court to get the 5000 i owed chase bank.... can they do this? and what are my options?

Last edited:

applecruncher

Not a good idea to post name of company and name of the person suing you. Serves no purpose and can come back to bite you.

So you ran up a lot of debt on a credit card over 3 years ago that you can't afford to pay or just don't want to pay, and you're asking if they can sue you.

The answer is yes.

Your option is to work out a payment plan. If they get a judgment your wages and bank account can be garnisheed. Your credit is ruined, but I'm guessing you don't care about that either.

Last edited:

Antigone*

Can a Collection agency sue me? I live in Pa and I have not paid my credit card for atleast 3 years now. It start with me graduating college with a huge credit card bill and no means to pay it... I decided I would rather keep a roof over my head and food in my belly then pay. Now hayt hayt & landau says they are going to take me to court to get the 5000 i owed chase bank.... can they do this? and what are my options?
Yes they can sue you. Your options are to pay your debt and to live within your means.

BriaNeedsHelpxx

wow all this "great advice"... thanks....

Seriously I was 18 years old,... I am now 26,... I have a firm budget that I stick to working a barely above minimum wage job.... What kind of credit card company gives a kid with no job and income a 5,000 credit limit. I made some financial mistakes as a kid, but i've learned from them, and now my mistakes are coming back to haunt me,...

further more if you aren't going to offer sound advice, and you are only here to point out my mistake, please don't bother,... I get that enough from my family

RRevak

Seriously I was 18 years old,... I am now 26,... I have a firm budget that I stick to working a barely above minimum wage job.... What kind of credit card company gives a kid with no job and income a 5,000 credit limit. I made some financial mistakes as a kid, but i've learned from them, and now my mistakes are coming back to haunt me,...

further more if you aren't going to offer sound advice, and you are only here to point out my mistake, please don't bother,... I get that enough from my family
As a kid with no job and income you didnt have to accept that credit card but you did. Thats not the problem of the credit card company. They in good faith extended you credit to which you took then defaulted on. You have been given sound advice which was to pay your debt then move on from your earlier mistake. You can contact them and attempt to settle the debt with a smaller amount but that means you will have to cough up the exact settlement amount immediately. Or, you can work with them on a payment plan. Either way, if the debt isnt paid then expect a judgement against you, a potential levy to your bank account and so on and so forth.

racer72

You received legally accurate and very sound advice. If you want someone to tell you what you want to hear, you came to the wrong place.

Antigone*

You were not a kid at the time you got this card. 18 is a legal adult, and in fact if someone would have addressed you as a kid when it came to other adult activities you would have reminded them that you were of legal age.

People need to be held accountable for their mistakes, so pay up little man.

What kind of credit card company gives a kid with no job and income a 5,000 credit limit.
Actually, I wholeheartedly agree with that gripe.

While I understand that at face value, one who's old enough to attend college and live "on their own" should be mature enough and responsible enough to understand credit, I don't think they do. And I do think it's criminal how credit card companies exploit their immaturity and demand for instant gratification.

Same goes for student loans.

But then I worry about the actual thought process the average college student has in regards to driving, drinking, and voting. Sometimes, ESPECIALLY voting. :eek:

However, that's neither here nor there. And complaining about their shady (yet perfectly legal) tactics isn't going to help you. The fact does remain that you DID accept the credit, you DID agree to pay the bills, and now it's coming back to gnaw on your posterior.

So, you do owe the bill. There is no "free ride." And they can sue you. And it looks like they're either gearing up to do so (since all you've received is a letter of intent) or are already beginning the process.

Your options are to try to establish some sort of payment arrangement with the agency. Or you can wait the (roughly) 3-12 months for them to file suit and serve you.

If they obtain a judgment against you (which they likely will, barring some sort of miracle), said judgment can result in several scenarios:

1) They completely trash your credit for the next 10 years (or less, or more, depending on state). But since your credit is likely already trashed, due to the "lates" that have accrued over the years, you might not care YET.

You WILL care, however, when you need to purchase a car or a home. Or even have your credit checked to rent an apartment.

2) Your credit will be trashed AND they'll levy your bank accounts or garnish your wages.

I'd contact them and try to work out some sort of arrangement.

Gail in Georgia

"I made some financial mistakes as a kid, but i've learned from them,"

Sounds like you slept through a few of these lessons....

"and now my mistakes are coming back to haunt me"

Yep, such things happen.

Gail

Antigone*

Actually, I wholeheartedly agree with that gripe.

While I understand that at face value, one who's old enough to attend college and live "on their own" should be mature enough and responsible enough to understand credit, I don't think they do. And I do think it's criminal how credit card companies exploit their immaturity and demand for instant gratification.

Same goes for student loans.

But then I worry about the actual thought process the average college student has in regards to driving, drinking, and voting. Sometimes, ESPECIALLY voting. :eek:

However, that's neither here nor there. And complaining about their shady (yet perfectly legal) tactics isn't going to help you. The fact does remain that you DID accept the credit, you DID agree to pay the bills, and now it's coming back to gnaw on your posterior.

So, you do owe the bill. There is no "free ride." And they can sue you. And it looks like they're either gearing up to do so (since all you've received is a letter of intent) or are already beginning the process.

Your options are to try to establish some sort of payment arrangement with the agency. Or you can wait the (roughly) 3-12 months for them to file suit and serve you.

If they obtain a judgment against you (which they likely will, barring some sort of miracle), said judgment can result in several scenarios:

1) They completely trash your credit for the next 10 years (or less, or more, depending on state). But since your credit is likely already trashed, due to the "lates" that have accrued over the years, you might not care YET.

You WILL care, however, when you need to purchase a car or a home. Or even have your credit checked to rent an apartment.

2) Your credit will be trashed AND they'll levy your bank accounts or garnish your wages.

I'd contact them and try to work out some sort of arrangement.

CB While I'd truly love to take credit for telling dannyt to shut up, that was Artemis_of_the_hunt. She does however speak for me in this case:D

barbara01

I was sued by hayt hayt landau. I am on social security owed 2000 . They would not work with me they wanted 7000 cash. They are illegal and the state of Pa has a class action suit against them. Find it quick!!!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I was sued by hayt hayt landau. I am on social security owed 2000 . They would not work with me they wanted 7000 cash. They are illegal and the state of Pa has a class action suit against them. Find it quick!!!
Funny - since you seem to know so much about it, why don't you post something to support that the company in question is "illegal" :rolleyes:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Oh - and how did your case work out?

cosine

Then go join the class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">