• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Interrogatories questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JJM93

What is the name of your state? PA

I received a 30 page interrogatories question thing resulting from a cc judgement. A lot of the questions are about family members, ( if I have life insurance on them or they have it on me) and they want to know my children's and current and former spouses names, ages, and addresses.Is this legal? Do they have the right to ask about my children's child support?They also want to know how much money I received and spent since 1999. I can't remember every single penny from 5 months ago let alone almost 5 yrs. If I just tell them that I don't remember, would that be legal? Their questions are so confusing. I don't want them to issue a warrent for contempt. I have no assets besides a checking acct. with less then $5. Would I be allowed to claim bk if my total debt is only about $6,000?

stevek3

JJM93 said:
What is the name of your state? PA

I received a 30 page interrogatories question thing resulting from a cc judgement. A lot of the questions are about family members, ( if I have life insurance on them or they have it on me) and they want to know my children's and current and former spouses names, ages, and addresses.Is this legal? Do they have the right to ask about my children's child support?They also want to know how much money I received and spent since 1999. I can't remember every single penny from 5 months ago let alone almost 5 yrs. If I just tell them that I don't remember, would that be legal? Their questions are so confusing. I don't want them to issue a warrent for contempt. I have no assets besides a checking acct. with less then $5. Would I be allowed to claim bk if my total debt is only about $6,000?
When it comes to questions regarding discovery issues, the best advice is always to get proper guidance from a lawyer.

Ladynred

Yes, they are allowed to ask you all those questions, its called discovery of assets and you have to answer. IMO their questions get pretty intrusive and are extreme. All of your income and expenses for the last FIVE years ?? Geez.. insane, they're digging deep. It is perfectly acceptable to answer by saying you don't have detailed records of that nature going back that far .. who does ??? NO ONE is required to keep that level of detail, its ridiculous.

Their questions are MEANT to be confusing and if you read very closely, they will ask you the same question more than once but worded differently. They are TRYING to catch you in a lie so be VERY careful reading and answering. Don't try to do it in a rush. Go thru it and answer the questions then walk away from it and come back and go thru it again. Lawyers LOVE trick questions - so honesty is imperative.

Lastly, YES you can file for bankruptcy, but think long and hard before you do that if 6K is all that you owe.

JJM93

Thanks for the responses. I just don't understand why they need my children's name's. It's kinda scary knowing that this guy will have my children's name's, age, and address. I almost want to claim bk just to keep that info private.

Ladynred

You could always just answer that you feel that information is irrelevent to the case.. I don't see how it has ANY relevence at all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">