• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it legal for someone use another person name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stevenme73

scame

I was paying someone pretending to be from the justice department. I was unaware I was being scammed. I stopped paying but I received another possible lawsuit which I believed is related to the possible scammed. What can I do about this

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I was paying someone pretending to be from the justice department. I was unaware I was being scammed. I stopped paying but I received another possible lawsuit which I believed is related to the possible scammed. What can I do about this
What is a "possible lawsuit"? :confused:

quincy

You need to explain this better but to answer your title question: It is not legal to pretend you are someone else if your purpose for your pretense is a nefarious one.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Impersonation of a federal agent to receive some advantage (such as money) or otherwise deceive is a crime.

HRZ

IF you paid one scam artist it's quite possible your name is now in hands of 100 scam artists....

quincy

You can report the scam to your local police and your local police department can refer the matter to the appropriate agency.

You provided no details about the scam so it is hard to tell you what else you can do. It wouldn't hurt for you to contact your bank to change account numbers and PIN numbers, and you can place fraud alerts with the three major credit reporting agencies (TransUnion, Experian, Equifax) so your personal identifying information isn't used to obtain credit/loans.

If you are legitimately being sued by a creditor over a debt you owe, on the other hand, you can consult with an attorney for a personal review.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">