• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical bill with me listed as Guarantor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jlfalgout1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana
My ex-wife took our daughter to the Endodontics without even telling me. I cover our child under my work insurance, there is nothing in the divorce decree that states who is liable for medical bills on said child. In February of last year she had taken her (without my knowledge. She then listed me as guarantor but used her address for the bill. I pulled my credit report two days ago (in process of buying home) and I found this bill in collections. She is the CP and the one who took her to this Dentist that I never knew about until two days ago. I contacted the office and explained the situation. They stated the address in which bills and collection letters were going to and it was not mine. I asked her if she received any bills from Endodontics and she said no (she lied). I believe this is illegal in state of Louisiana. What do I need to do since the Endodontics office will not do anything. Thanking you in advance for help and advice

Last edited:

quincy

Thank you for the "friend request," Jlfalgout. It is my policy on this forum not to accept the friend requests but I always appreciate the offers. So thanks.

Now I really wish I could help you with your question. :)

Can you go back to court to get your order modified/clarified? That won't help you with the Endodontics debt but it may prevent the same thing from happening again.

Others may have some suggestions so please wait for additional posts.

Last edited:

Jlfalgout1

Ex- Wife difficult

Quincy,
I have spoken with my attorney today, It seems as though she is in contempt of court, being as the Divorce Decree only states that I will provide health insurance on my daughter, and nothing else listed in regards to who will be responsible for bills not covered by insurance. My Attorney stayed that in Louisiana, the guarantor is the person present at the time the child received medical treatment, unless it was stated otherwise in the decree. She has done this every time, we have paid off the past medical bills that went to collections because she used her address with my name as guarantor and never mentioned anything to us. After we paid off thousands of dollars over the years to get my credit back, only to find out she did it again a year ago and is lying about not receiving any bills nor collection letters, even after the Dr office gave me the address these were going to (listed under guarantor, my name her address. She illegal used my social. Unfortunately the Dr office was of no help and was rude, so we have to call the credit agency and dispute it to get it off my credit, and then we will also file contempt of court. I thank you for your help, and I still would love your input and anyone else’s in the meantime.

HRZ

Have you taken proactive steps to inform any and all relevant service providers have been advised in writing that you are not the guarantor and your correct address.

IF you fail to be proactive some might argue you have acquiesced to her practices.

IF somebody were misusing my name to bill things to me I'd be keen to discuss with counsel if it's criminal in context of LA law under thier version of theft by deception law...misappropriation without violence.

quincy

Have you taken proactive steps to inform any and all relevant service providers have been advised in writing that you are not the guarantor and your correct address.

IF you fail to be proactive some might argue you have acquiesced to her practices.

IF somebody were misusing my name to bill things to me I'd be keen to discuss with counsel if it's criminal in context of LA law under thier version of theft by deception law...misappropriation without violence.
Although I understand that the actions of the ex-wife might be criminal in nature (possibly misappropriation, possibly identity theft), we are talking about the mother of Jlfalgout's child. I feel there are far better ways to handle this debt than trying to have his ex charged with a crime.

I firmly believe that what is best for the child should be of paramount concern in all matters relating to disputes between ex-spouses.

I like your first suggestion, though. :)

HRZ

Your attorney may be able to explain issues and options to ex or her attorney is such a way that she cures the problems and pays costs as well..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">