• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

question re: being taken to court by debt collector even though already making paymen

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

elwen71

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

MA

I had made payment arrangements with one debt collection agency for $25/mo (the total amount owed is about $1700 with interest still accruing). They were going to take me to court because they weren't satisfied with $25, so I said that is all I could pay. After about 1 week, they called me back and agreed to this amount. After several months of making payments, my account was transferred to another collection agency. I still had a pending future court date (about 2 weeks away) probably to insure that I made my payments. I called the new collection agency and left many messages with a secretary to find out if I still had to go. I never heard from them, but right before the court date I received paperwork from the court stating that this new collection agency had taken over. I kept making my $25 payments for several months. About a week ago, I received a court summons form 9/26/08 and I called the agency to find out why. They stated that $25 wasn't enough and that they could not accept anything less than $100/mo. I explained that if I had the money I would pay that amount but I am not financially able to afford that at this time. The again stated that only $100/mo would be satisfactory and I still had to go to court. What will happen when I go to court? Will the judge make me pay more or keep it as is since I am making the $25 payments as previously agreed to with the first collection agency?

Last edited:

Ladynred

What will happen ? They'll probably win their judgment against you, and that will allow them to garnish your wages - and that will be more than $25/mo.

At $25/month you aren't even covering the interest that's accruing and it will take a whopping 68 months to pay off that debt. That's almost SIX YEARS ! Do you really think they'll wait 6 years to get paid ?? Not only that, the debt will continue to grow as they tack on endless interest. If they win a judgment against you, that will also accrue statutory interest AND the amount will be higher because it will include court costs and attorney's fees.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">