• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

seeking advice on paying off decade old judgment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mountain man

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

thanks in advance for any and all advice, etc

this all took place in the state of Virginia...

Back in '97 or '98 I acquired an unsecured credit card from a local bank with a limit of $500. I used this card and paid on it for three or four years and eventually lost my handle on it due to medical issues, etc. A judgment was acquired against me in my absence in the year 2001 I think. Out of fear, I began making some partial payments toward the judgment amount and eventually i couldn't keep up with those payments. Then a few years later around 2003 or 04 maybe, I think they acquired another judgment against me (same account). I'm not sure if this was an extension or how that worked. Anyway, the judgment amount was for around $1,100 or so. During this time period I had relocated a few times. During the year 2004 or so I tried contacting the bank to arrange an agreement and possible pay off only to be met with what seemed like rage from the employee on the other end. They were pissed that i wouldn't give them my new contact info. Didn't really think they needed it if I was paying off the debt over the phone. With that, I just forgot about the debt and put it in the rearview. I never owned a house and they never came after my wages or bank account. The judgment showed on my credit for 7 years and the judgment showed in the online court case records up until a few years ago I think. I know for sure that it's not showing now. Not sure if that means the judgment has expired or not. I know in VA that the SOL on judgments is 10 and 20 years depending on which court and that it can be renewed for another 10 or 20 as well. Here's my issue.... the debt is on my conscious and I want to pay it off, however I want to do so ONLY when I have full leverage. It's never been my intention to not pay it back. would have done so long ago had they been cordial when I voluntarily called them ready to pay. I don't want to do anything that will cause them to renew the judgment (if it hadn't been renewed in 04 or so)...and also I really don't want to cause this thing to pop back up on my credit after I pay it (showing as paid) since it's not on there now. I know most people reading this are saying 'well hell, they never came after you about the money...no garnish, no calls, no letters....then let it go'. But I at least owe them 500 bucks I feel and may even pay the $1,100 judgment. What are the steps? How do I find out if they sold the debt without waking a sleeping dog? The last thing I want to do is have them say 'well, with interest you owe 4 thousand dollars!' ....especially since once again I'm trying to come to them. That's why I want to come to them when they have no leverage. Even if they said the judgment has expired and it's no longer in our hands, I'd still probably walk in there and lay 500 bucks down on the desk for them. Anyway, where do I start without digging my own grave? thanks

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

thanks in advance for any and all advice, etc

this all took place in the state of Virginia...

Back in '97 or '98 I acquired an unsecured credit card from a local bank with a limit of $500. I used this card and paid on it for three or four years and eventually lost my handle on it due to medical issues, etc. A judgment was acquired against me in my absence in the year 2001 I think. Out of fear, I began making some partial payments toward the judgment amount and eventually i couldn't keep up with those payments. Then a few years later around 2003 or 04 maybe, I think they acquired another judgment against me (same account). I'm not sure if this was an extension or how that worked. Anyway, the judgment amount was for around $1,100 or so. During this time period I had relocated a few times. During the year 2004 or so I tried contacting the bank to arrange an agreement and possible pay off only to be met with what seemed like rage from the employee on the other end. They were pissed that i wouldn't give them my new contact info. Didn't really think they needed it if I was paying off the debt over the phone. With that, I just forgot about the debt and put it in the rearview. I never owned a house and they never came after my wages or bank account. The judgment showed on my credit for 7 years and the judgment showed in the online court case records up until a few years ago I think. I know for sure that it's not showing now. Not sure if that means the judgment has expired or not. I know in VA that the SOL on judgments is 10 and 20 years depending on which court and that it can be renewed for another 10 or 20 as well. Here's my issue.... the debt is on my conscious and I want to pay it off, however I want to do so ONLY when I have full leverage. It's never been my intention to not pay it back. would have done so long ago had they been cordial when I voluntarily called them ready to pay. I don't want to do anything that will cause them to renew the judgment (if it hadn't been renewed in 04 or so)...and also I really don't want to cause this thing to pop back up on my credit after I pay it (showing as paid) since it's not on there now. I know most people reading this are saying 'well hell, they never came after you about the money...no garnish, no calls, no letters....then let it go'. But I at least owe them 500 bucks I feel and may even pay the $1,100 judgment. What are the steps? How do I find out if they sold the debt without waking a sleeping dog? The last thing I want to do is have them say 'well, with interest you owe 4 thousand dollars!' ....especially since once again I'm trying to come to them. That's why I want to come to them when they have no leverage. Even if they said the judgment has expired and it's no longer in our hands, I'd still probably walk in there and lay 500 bucks down on the desk for them. Anyway, where do I start without digging my own grave? thanks
If you truly wish to pay what you owe(d), it's going to amount to MUCH more than $1,100. If you feel comfortable in your determination that the debt is absolutely beyond any time limits for collection, then perhaps to assuage your guilt, your money would be better utilized as a donation to a worthy charity of your choosing.

adjusterjack

Here's my issue.... the debt is on my conscious and I want to pay it off, however I want to do so ONLY when I have full leverage. It's never been my intention to not pay it back. would have done so long ago had they been cordial when I voluntarily called them ready to pay. I don't want to do anything that will cause them to renew the judgment (if it hadn't been renewed in 04 or so)...and also I really don't want to cause this thing to pop back up on my credit after I pay it (showing as paid) since it's not on there now. I know most people reading this are saying 'well hell, they never came after you about the money...no garnish, no calls, no letters....then let it go'. But I at least owe them 500 bucks I feel and may even pay the $1,100 judgment. What are the steps? How do I find out if they sold the debt without waking a sleeping dog? The last thing I want to do is have them say 'well, with interest you owe 4 thousand dollars!' ....especially since once again I'm trying to come to them. That's why I want to come to them when they have no leverage.
Baloney. What you are not understanding is that you're the bad guy here. You have no leverage. The creditor has a judgment and you can one day find yourself missing a piece of your paycheck or bank account if they chase you down.

The way you put this to rest is you call up and wake the sleeping dog and say "How much do I owe?"

Then you can offer whatever cash settlement you want to offer and see how it goes.

Zigner

For reference...in VA, judgments are good for 20 years and can be extended at any point during that 20 years.

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title8.01/chapter4/section8.01-251/

Zigner

Baloney. What you are not understanding is that you're the bad guy here. You have no leverage. The creditor has a judgment and you can one day find yourself missing a piece of your paycheck or bank account if they chase you down.

The way you put this to rest is you call up and wake the sleeping dog and say "How much do I owe?"

Then you can offer whatever cash settlement you want to offer and see how it goes.
I agree.

mountain man

Yes, I guess in terms of owing a judgment then I am the bad guy. If the judgment was filed in general district court, then the statue of limitations is 10 years with an option to renew for another 10 years. I know for sure that the ten year period has expired. I'm not sure if the renewal has to take place prior to the expiration or not. The other possible issue is if they sold the debt AFTER the judgment. Maybe that's why they wouldn't settle with me over the phone years ago. Everything I've ever read regarding settling old debt is that you don't personally call them yourself unless you have full leverage....and to hire an attorney. I was just trying to get some ideas and advice prior to potentially seeking out legal advice.

thanks anyway

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">