• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sole trader passed away, huge unknown debts after being passed to me.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lewbb

Hello,
A little while back, my father unfortunately passed away, the business was then transferred over to me (Based in United Kingdom, apologies if this is a US forum, if there is a UK section please feel free to move this post)

It has been a few years since the incident, I have since gone Ltd and have had a company recently come forward claiming that I owe them around £8000 of which will be very hard to pay, am I liable to pay this?

Are debts on sole traders tied into the individual and not the company?

Any help at all would be highly appreciated, as you can imagine this is keeping me awake at night.

thankyou

justalayman

Yes this is a US based forum and tbere is no UK section. There are a few people that have some familiarity with some UK law so I wouldn’t expect much here.

HRZ

You need to review this with U.K. Solicitor of your choice .

Here in one of your ex colonies I would check multiple points as to if the estates executor has any duty to address claims that are now too late ( if the executor followed the proper steps ) and by what logic you inherit debts ...unless you unwisely affirm same.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">