• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Someone attempt to serve me today, I didn't open the door, need advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

needtheadvice

So a guy knocked on my door, I looked out the peep hole didn't answer it. He knocked again and said COURT BUSINESS, open up. I didn't open it and he left.

I'm starting to think that maybe I'm being served for a car that I surrendered and now I owe $2,600 on the car, I just been waiting on my taxes, I will get my taxes back in 2 weeks. And I will pay them $600, and then pay them another $600 on my next check and make arrangements from there.

Is it too late to make these arrangements since they are already in the suit process?
Can I call them tomorrow to see if I can work out something?

quincy

So a guy knocked on my door, I looked out the peep hole didn't answer it. He knocked again and said COURT BUSINESS, open up. I didn't open it and he left.

I'm starting to think that maybe I'm being served for a car that I surrendered and now I owe $2,600 on the car, I just been waiting on my taxes, I will get my taxes back in 2 weeks. And I will pay them $600, and then pay them another $600 on my next check and make arrangements from there.

Is it too late to make these arrangements since they are already in the suit process?
What is the name of your state?

You might be able to negotiate a payment plan at this late date. The creditor does not have to accept any plan and can continue to court for a judgment, though.

At the top of this forum is a "sticky note" on negotiating with a creditor, written by "Tiger D," a former debt collector, now attorney. You might find what is offered in that thread helpful.

Good luck.

needtheadvice

What is the name of your state?

You might be able to negotiate a payment plan at this late date. The creditor does not have to accept any plan and can continue to court for a judgment, though.

At the top of this forum is a "sticky note" on negotiating with a creditor, written by "Tiger D," a former debt collector, now attorney. You might find what is offered in that thread helpful.

Good luck.
thank you, I'm in Michigan

adjusterjack

That's up to the finance company (or bank).

But I can tell you this:

The finance company (or bank) has already incurred attorney fees, court fees, and process service fees so it will cost you a lot more that $2600 to get out from under the inevitable lawsuit.

A first payment of only $600 isn't likely to do it.

FlyingRon

The next thing you will likely find is a registered or certified letter and if you don't accept that, then they'll serve by publication.

You can always try to negotiate, but frankly, as pointed out, your offer is weak. The judgment should be a slam dunk at this point.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">