• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

U.S. Marine needs help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sambone96

What is the name of your state? California but I now live in North Carolina.
Here is my situation. In May of 2002 I sold a car to a salvage yard for $100.00 and signed over the pink slip. THREE YEARS after I sold the vehicle I get a collection notice in the mail for $957.00. Apperantly the vehicle was sold to someone else and never registared and was towed from a place that is 400 miles north of where I orginally sold the vehicle. It was towed in 2004. I have contacted the salvage yard and they will not deal with me and told me to have the collection agency contact them but they won't. I have been searching frantically for the bill of sale but have come up empty, maybe because of the move across the states. Now I have a blemish on my credit report that I had no idea about. what do I do next? Does the soldiers and sailors act protect us from scammers like the salvage yard?

jamied66

Did you (did you have to?) report it as "sold" to your DMV? In our state we have to let the DMV know when we sell, trade, or destroy a car.

They'd have record of it, and may give you some leverage with these bums.

sambone96

yes you are supposed to report a statement of liability to the dmv, but because of the timing I the salvage yard stated they would do it because they are always at the dmv and I was leaving on ship

jamied66

Then you should be able to get some record that you sold it from the DMV, and therefore can't be liable for other people breaking the law.

If the salvage yard didn't report it, then you might have to strong-arm them some to get this off your back. It seems to me that it could be illegal to sell a vehicle and not properly title it. Get the BBB involved, and your state AG. The salvage yard should come in line pretty quick.

Some sort of affidavit that you haven't had the car for 3 years might suffice, but something from the DMV would be a lot better.

Good Luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">