• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Utility bills and SOL

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

madmaxxxx

What is the name of your state? IL

Is there a place that i can read about that shows utility bills, gas, electric, and phone as UCC and subject to the 4 yr SOL???

Perhaps case law?

I have a couple from 12/1999 and the CA's are calling, looking for money.

Mr.Knight

here is a good idea. why not pay them?? why is it that you can run up the phone bills, the gas company or electric company? now you want a way to get out of it?? why not pay them? that is a too simple solution, then tring to get out of the bill?

madmaxxxx

perhaps you misunderstood my post.

I am prepared to pay, however I want to negotiate with them. I would really like the idea of 100% pay for delete, for some reason the CA's really enjoy trashing someones credit AND having you pay. The last thing I want to do is PAY them for poisoning my credit with untruths and lies.

If I was able to prove the SOL was expired I think that they might be more willing to negotiate with me for a more understandable settlement.

If the Junk Debt Buyers would not play games with peoples lives and make it a sport to trash a persons credit then more people would be willing to pay the off, instead of fighting them.

Mr.Knight

call them. asked them if they have a settlement they can offer on the account? first off. they are going to want the balance. they will settle for less. if you tell them you want a settlement. get it in WRITING. By fax is prefered. and mail so you have something. with a date.
Two when you pay it off do either Western Union so they get it that day or Check by phone for that day.
three. when it is settled then call them. the next day if WU. and get a letter stating it is settled in full.
if you do a check it will be about 2 weeks before you get a letter to make sure that the check clears.
Keep the reciepts.
Most of all Get that second letter stating it is 'settled in full'

Last edited:

madmaxxxx

I wish it was as easy as you just wrote.

I have spoke with them, they even offered 50% off sale for November. But they would not delete. In my opinion, they are manipulating persons credit file to trash their FICO score. Its really a game to them. I would have even paid 100%, But they have to delete for that. All they would do is offer to show paid, and told me to dispute with the CRA. Come on, I was dealing with the people that put the derog there, They can certainly remove, what i consider incorrect information. So they can settle for that also. Thats how easy it is. If they want to play trash, then if the SOL is expired they can go pound sand somewhere.

Mr.Knight

first off. they probably didn't put anything on there.
two they probably don't have the ablity to delete anything from the credit report. what is there is there. once it is shown on the credit report as paided your done. that is why it is important to get that second letter. if it is not upgraded to paid. then you can make copies and send them to the credit reporting agencies yourself and they will upgrade it.

Paying a collection does NOTHING to help your credit score and the CA's know it. They DO have the ability to delete tradelines from your credit report. Do not let anyone tell you differently.

stevek3

ihatearizona said:
Paying a collection does NOTHING to help your credit score and the CA's know it. They DO have the ability to delete tradelines from your credit report. Do not let anyone tell you differently.
O.K., then I'll tell you differently. Yes, they have the "ability" to delete a tradeline. However, if they delete it for any other reason than the tradeline is erroneous, it is in clear breach of their contracts with any of the three credit bureaus. The credit bureaus periodically notify and remind all of their subscribers of this fact. It doesn't hurt to try to negotiate with a collection agency to delete it, but you'd better make it worth the collection agency's assumption of risk.

djohnson

Also keep in mind when you are talking about the SOL that time frame is only in which a suit can be filed. It can be on your credit for 7 years. The utility company will keep it in their records forever and could cost you more in the future.

madmaxxxx

I appreciate all of the comments a great deal.

It has ALWAYS been my intent to pay these debts. But I would like to "trade" for the payment I am willing to make.

With the SOL being expired, it seems to me to make the issue of settlement lean in my favor. So to tip the balance I would like the delete on these erroneous credit bureau entries.

So, my inquiry here was only to be sure that I was bargaining from a position of power, rather then waking a monster so that it could sue me.

Again, thank you for your comments.

djohnson

Ok now your posts are confusing. First you owe and intend to pay, then you say they are in error. Which is it? If you owe them and intended to pay why should you get it off your credit? Your credit report is to allow other creditors the opportunity to see what your past history is, and that is your past history. Why do you want false history? If it's in error then there are other ways to go about getting it off because it should not have been there in the first place. In your case it should stay there. I know with me personally, I never let that play a factor, ofcourse usually I am the original creditor and have even more options.

Madmaxxx: You've got the right idea. Stick with it. If the collector wants to get paid they are going to have to work with you.

madmaxxxx

I suppose that the position I am put in to acheive my goal would require that I dispute these bills as not correctly belonging to me, however, to save all concerned the b.s. of formality, I would be willing to part with my cash prior to all the validation, for a delete. plain and simple, this way, the CA is not in a position of deleting a correct entry. I will go away, and they will go away. Not really that difficult to understand. Unless you have a burning desire to shaft it to me because you enjoy that kind of thing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">