• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I have NY medicaid & just moved to PA,If I apply in PA will I lose NY medicaid?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Storm1026

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY
I do not want to have any lapse in insurance i just cannot afford it at this time.I am so scared to lose my ny medicaid but I NEED to apply in PA. It's become an emergency & I could use any advice anyone can give.TY

Storm1026

I understand that

You will if you're approved in PA. You certainly can't have both at the same time.

I am not trying to get over on NY Medicaid or have extra insurance. My only concern is the time it will take PA to process my application. I have a medical condition & am on medication that I in no way can afford if NY was to cancel me. I don't want NY to think I am trying to do something illegal and I have heard that PA takes about 2 months. If I lost my NY medicaid in the process of applying I would either have to be hospitalized or come up with about $3k for my doctor's visits & medication.I looked around online and I guess my best bet is to call both NY & PA Medicaid help lines.

CSO286

I am not trying to get over on NY Medicaid or have extra insurance. My only concern is the time it will take PA to process my application. I have a medical condition & am on medication that I in no way can afford if NY was to cancel me. I don't want NY to think I am trying to do something illegal and I have heard that PA takes about 2 months. If I lost my NY medicaid in the process of applying I would either have to be hospitalized or come up with about $3k for my doctor's visits & medication.I looked around online and I guess my best bet is to call both NY & PA Medicaid help lines.
Look, you are required to notify NY within 10 days of any changes.....moving is a change. Based on my knowledge of medicaid time lines:

If you have already moved, then you better notify them quickly. Your NY Medicaid basis for eligibility will end because of the move and you case will close at the end of the month.

You can and should apply for medicaid immediately in PA.

Because Medicaid is both Federally and State funded, it is possible (though this part I have very limited experience with) that your case would transfer and you would not have a lapse in coverage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">