• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alimony in no Faut divorce question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jacobmyers1988

I live in upstate NY and Im currently in the process of getting a no Fault Divorce. My biggest concern is in relation to alimony. I'm in an odd situation with my ex that could effect alimony and i was wanting to get an idea of what to expect. I'm just worried she is going to try to take all my money causing me finacail issues. below i will list key information. and thanks in advance to anyone who can help me understand what to expect and what my rights are in this case

-My income is about 36,000 and her income is $0 but at the time she asked for a divorce she was employeed and making about $18,000. she decided to quit and go back to school which her parents are paying for.

- we married dec 24th of 2014 and she requested a divorce on november 20th 2017

- I have about $100+/- left over each month and will probably have an additional 200 after the divorce due to her falling off my insurance

- shes currently has an associates and is going for her bacholers were as i have no college degree

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
This is a short marriage. She shouldn't get any alimony.

Of course, if she wants to fight that, it will become a contested divorce - which is much more expensive.

adjusterjack

I don't see her getting alimony since she voluntarily became unemployed and has her parents to support her.

Has she asked for alimony?

jacobmyers1988

She didn't directly ask for it but in our discussion she did say we needed to discuss alimony. my concern is that her parents may push for it as it was her parents that ended up causing the end of the marraige and they have the finacial abiltiy to make things a mess.

LdiJ

She didn't directly ask for it but in our discussion she did say we needed to discuss alimony. my concern is that her parents may push for it as it was her parents that ended up causing the end of the marraige and they have the finacial abiltiy to make things a mess.
You had a short term marriage. Alimony would be very unlikely.

xylene

OK, so what if you got hit with alimony

At worst, given the duration of your marriage, you would be looking at spousal maintenance (that's NY for alimony) for around ~15 months.

Given your income and hers at 'zero', worst case, you be looking a total of just under 10 grand in payments annually. More like 3k if her income is 18k.

These are worst case situations.

These calculations are from the New York courts website and are simulations only and do not consider you tax situation and numerous other factors.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">