• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collecting Divorce settlement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

ChristinaR

What is the name of your state? Texas

What is the time limit on collecting my property awarded in a divorce?
My Ex refuses to give me the house which was awarded or my QH Stallion, everything that I was awarded he has kept from me. It has almost been 3 years. Last year when I was looking for an attorney to take him back to court my ex started a custody modification to gain custody of the kids. The attorney I found said we would worry about the property after the custody case. The custody case is still not over with since my Ex and his attorney continue to reset hearings.
His attorney never gave me any of the papers he signed for the house, Horse or vehicle. I wouldn't sign the final divorce decree until he had signed those but the attorney has not yet given them to me and refuses to talk to me about the situation.

Any help on this matter would be appreciated.

JETX

It sounds like your divorce isn't final and an order has not been signed by the court, is that correct?? If so, you really have no legal way to force him to get to it..... and it sounds like you need a new attorney who will FORCE this issue forward.

C

ChristinaR

No the divorce is final and has been since Oct 3 2000,
My attorney is gone now since I could no longer afford him but I have since gotten another attorney last week who will be helping me with the custody case. I just don’t want time to run out on what is mine and him get it in default,

The kids are my priority now though so as soon as I get through with this battle it looks like another is on its way.

JETX

I was confused by your statement:
"I wouldn't sign the final divorce decree until he had signed those but the attorney has not yet given them to me and refuses to talk to me about the situation."

C

ChristinaR

Sorry, I see how that was misleading.

He had signed power of attorney’s and other papers his attorney said were for the House, Vehicle and Horse but she has never furnished me or my attorney at the time those papers, His attorney will not return my calls and ignores me in person. My ex is still in the house, I have my vehicle still registered in my Ex’s name, He still has my Stallion and has made $8,000 in stud services off him in the past two years, I found that information on his tax returns which he had to supply to me as part of our discoveries in the custody case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">