• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have to attend hearing?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bbuggy

I live in FL and have been sent a notice of hearing by my hopefully soon-to-be- ex husband , the notice says it is a hearing for a Petition of Dissolution of Marriage. He served me some papers about 6 months ago but did not think they were divorce papers. I did not file an answer because I was confused and could not afford an attorney. At this point I still can not afford an attorney. I am anxious for the divorce because according to the the laws in FL I can not drop him off of my insurance and have been paying approximately $250 extra a month so that he can have medical insurance! The papers he served me with did not state anything that I did not agree with. I have a business trip out west for a very important work event on the date of the hearing. Do I have to attend?

LdiJ

I live in FL and have been sent a notice of hearing by my hopefully soon-to-be- ex husband , the notice says it is a hearing for a Petition of Dissolution of Marriage. He served me some papers about 6 months ago but did not think they were divorce papers. I did not file an answer because I was confused and could not afford an attorney. At this point I still can not afford an attorney. I am anxious for the divorce because according to the the laws in FL I can not drop him off of my insurance and have been paying approximately $250 extra a month so that he can have medical insurance! The papers he served me with did not state anything that I did not agree with. I have a business trip out west for a very important work event on the date of the hearing. Do I have to attend?
He could ask for anything he wants to ask for at the hearing, and be granted it if you don't show up.

Gracie3787

Why were you confused about filing an answer to papers that you knew needed to be answered? I thought that we had given you very good advice 6 months ago https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=353731.

No, you do not have to show up, but you'll be risking alot by not being there, especially when you've already refused to file an answer to the petition.

bbuggy

Gracie 3787, thank you for the advice. I went to see 2 attorneys and they each wanted to charge me between $1000-$1500 to file the answer. Anyway, I have spoken to my supervisor who is going to send someone else on the trip. I am going to attend the hearing but is it OK if I do not have an attorney present?

I am going to attend the hearing but is it OK if I do not have an attorney present?
I would say that the term "OK" is relative. It is OK with me if you do not have an attorney present, i am sure it would be OK with your STBX if you do not have an attorney present. You would be going Pro Se, meaning representing yourself, and if you have a good understanding of the Rules and laws you are entitled to do so. So in that respect, i suppose it would be OK with the courts as well

Just be forwarned that OK doesnt equal favorable outcome.

If several professionals are charging the same amount, its fair to say that there is a fair amount of work to be done. If your car needed repairs, and several repair shops wanted $500 to repair it, would you go it alone? or hire the professional that you actually needed?

bbuggy

I am going by myself. I do not have much, hence the reason I will not have an attorney present. It is not as if I do not want one, I simply do not have the money to pay for one. Even if the attorney charged $200 rather than $1000. Thanks for all of the advice but the reason I am even on these boards is because I do not have $$ for an attorney.

Just Blue

I am going by myself. I do not have much, hence the reason I will not have an attorney present. It is not as if I do not want one, I simply do not have the money to pay for one. Even if the attorney charged $200 rather than $1000. Thanks for all of the advice but the reason I am even on these boards is because I do not have $$ for an attorney.
Then I would advise you to do a search of the forum for your state so that you can adequately represent yourself in court. The Judge will not cut you any slack because you don't have an attorney.

Start studying.:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">