• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

During a breakup can adult 1 charge adult 2's 30yr old child rent to live in 50/50 h?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HunterT

In the state of NJ.

2 adults who have been together for more than 10 years but never got married. They have officially broken up and put the house up for sale. Until the house sells they are still living together.

The details:

Both adults own 50% of the house and split the mortgage.

Adult 1 has a 30 year old daughter living in the house.

The question:

Does Adult 2 have the right to request that the 30 year old daughter pay to live in the house. Or at the minimum request that Adult 1 pays for their 30 year old daughter to still live in the house. Rent or some kind of contribution for living there whether it comes from the parent (Adult 1) or the child themselves.

LdiJ

In the state of NJ.

2 adults who have been together for more than 10 years but never got married. They have officially broken up and put the house up for sale. Until the house sells they are still living together.

The details:

Both adults own 50% of the house and split the mortgage.

Adult 1 has a 30 year old daughter living in the house.

The question:

Does Adult 2 have the right to request that the 30 year old daughter pay to live in the house. Or at the minimum request that Adult 1 pays for their 30 year old daughter to still live in the house. Rent or some kind of contribution for living there whether it comes from the parent (Adult 1) or the child themselves.
One always has the right to "request" that someone else do something. However, the right to make a request does not mean that the other person must agree to what you request.

In this instance, you have no leverage to force the co-owner of the house to pay extra because one of their children also lives there.

HunterT

One always has the right to "request" that someone else do something. However, the right to make a request does not mean that the other person must agree to what you request.

In this instance, you have no leverage to force the co-owner of the house to pay extra because one of their children also lives there.
What if it is taken to court. Is there anything they can do? Something doesn't seem right about a broken up couple and a 30yr child still being able to live in the house for completely free using up utilities, food, space, etc.

LdiJ

What if it is taken to court. Is there anything they can do? Something doesn't seem right about a broken up couple and a 30yr child still being able to live in the house for completely free using up utilities, food, space, etc.
You both own the house. You both have the right to have other people there. It is absolutely irrelevant that you used to be a couple.

By all means keep your food and sundries supplies separate.

HunterT

You both own the house. You both have the right to have other people there. It is absolutely irrelevant that you used to be a couple.

Thank you very much for the fast responses

HunterT

Sorry one last question. There is nothing the other adult has the right to force? Like them paying more towards utilities / food?

LdiJ

Sorry one last question. There is nothing the other adult has the right to force? Like them paying more towards utilities / food?
Again, on the issue of food, you solve that by keeping your food and sundries supplies separate, as many roommates do. You can REQUEST that your roommate pay extra for the utilities, but there is nothing you can do to force it.

HunterT

As an example to my final question.

It is understandable that they both still have to split the mortgage and no rent has to be paid by the child. But if taken to court is there a chance that Adult 1 and child should have to pay more towards utilities, food, and other living expenses that the 3 of them share?

HunterT

Again, on the issue of food, you solve that by keeping your food and sundries supplies separate, as many roommates do. You can REQUEST that your roommate pay extra for the utilities, but there is nothing you can do to force it.
Alright, you can disregard my previous post then because I believe you answered it. The final answer is Adult 2 can't really force anything.

LdiJ

As an example to my final question.

It is understandable that they both still have to split the mortgage and no rent has to be paid by the child. But if taken to court is there a chance that Adult 1 and child should have to pay more towards utilities, food, and other living expenses that the 3 of them share?
You are grasping at straws...just stop.

LdiJ

Haha just saying.. it isn't fun watching a 30yr old freeloader run up the utilities in your home in an ended relationship.
Again, the fact that the two co-owners used to be in a relationship is irrelevant. Look, this does not appear to be about the actual money, but about your hurt feelings and you looking for a way to "stick it" to the other party. Perhaps it would be in your best interest to not remain in the house pending its sale.

Eekamouse

Haha just saying.. it isn't fun watching a 30yr old freeloader run up the utilities in your home in an ended relationship.
Apparently, you didn't mind the 30 year old freeloader living there when there was a relationship between you and the mother but now that it's over, you want to make a huge deal about her presence.

HunterT

Apparently, you didn't mind the 30 year old freeloader living there when there was a relationship between you and the mother but now that it's over, you want to make a huge deal about her presence.
Not exactly the case. For the past several years 50% of arguments have been: when is your daughter moving out? When is she going to contribute.? Etc.. There is a lot more to the story so I'm sure if you heard everything you would actually pick the side of the person who doesn't have the child still living in the house. And if you would then you an enabler too.

At the end of the day my question was answered that there is nothing that can be done. Which I am accepting. There is no need for people like you to leave a smart comment on this thread.

HunterT

Again, the fact that the two co-owners used to be in a relationship is irrelevant. Look, this does not appear to be about the actual money, but about your hurt feelings and you looking for a way to "stick it" to the other party. Perhaps it would be in your best interest to not remain in the house pending its sale.
I appreciate you answering my question. I have already accepted the answer. No need for you to jump to conclusions and assume feelings are hurt. There has been arguments for years about the child (30yr) living in the house not contributing at all. I was simply wondering if anything could be done by law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">