• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

extreme and repeated mental cruelty charge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mathcd

Me and my wife just want to get the quickest no fault divorce in Illinois, we don't have the money to live seperate and agree to live divorced and save money to move out after our lease is up. She is the one with the lawyer and he says the only way to get a divorce in Illinois while still living together is to have her accuse me of "extreme and repeated mental cruelty" (even though it is not true) because we need a reason to get a divorce. She has lied to me before and is telling me that her lawyer says this is the only way, while still living together. I'm wondering: If I sign the divorce paperwork,is there anything in the "Illinois Marriage and dissolution of Marriage act" if she can sue me or anything after our divorce is finished and lie about the mental cruelty? Even though she knows I haven't done anything to her? Is it safe for me to just sign this paperwork? Should I worry enough about it to get her to change it?

G

Grandma B

Many attorneys offer free initial consultations. Sounds like you could use one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">