• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Foreign Marriage Certificate; divorce.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Aprilpup

My parents were married 34 years ago in a foreign country prior to immigrating to the States; they are now US citizens residing in NY state. Their relationship ended about 10 years ago and now they want to get a divorce / separate legally on paper...

Are divorce proceedings the same if they have a foreign marriage certificate vs a US marriage certificate?

Thank you in advance for any information that is provided.

Just Blue

My parents were married 34 years ago in a foreign country prior to immigrating to the States; they are now US citizens residing in NY state. Their relationship ended about 10 years ago and now they want to get a divorce / separate legally on paper...

Are divorce proceedings the same if they have a foreign marriage certificate vs a US marriage certificate?

Thank you in advance for any information that is provided.
Your parents should consult with an attorney.

FlyingRon

The fact that your parents were married overseas won't change the issues.

The thing that gives me pause is your qualification "on paper."

Your parents would be well advised to speak to an attorney before doing whatever it is they are thinking about (they may even wish to consult separate attorneys).
While an "on paper" divorce will work for certain things even when the couple is still holding out as marriage, it won't for other purposes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">