• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Liquid Assets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LiquidAssetsIN

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

My recently ex-girlfriend has left my apartment of which she is not on the lease. I have given her everything with her name on it and now she wants “her stuff” back. She cannot keep a job because of her drinking problem and has been living rent free and on my dime. What she wants back are material possessions most of which I have bought and can probably, with extensive research, find documentation for. I told her she can have back anything she can provide a receipt for and have claimed everything in my apartment as my own liquid assets. Can she sue me or file a police report for stolen property?

LdiJ

My recently ex-girlfriend has left my apartment of which she is not on the lease. I have given her everything with her name on it and now she wants “her stuff” back. She cannot keep a job because of her drinking problem and has been living rent free and on my dime. What she wants back are material possessions most of which I have bought and can probably, with extensive research, find documentation for. I told her she can have back anything she can provide a receipt for and have claimed everything in my apartment as my own liquid assets. Can she sue me or file a police report for stolen property?
I hope that you are not talking about things like Christmas presents or birthday presents or anything else that was given to her as a gift. If you are, then you are the one who is going to end up on the bad end of things.

HRZ

Be careful ...her legal status may well be that of tenant ...and it's taboo to lock out tenants...you would be smart to get a written " surrender ".

xylene

What, specifically are we talking about that she is asking for.

NOT whether you bought it and can prove it with a recipe somewhere maybe.

What is she claiming you are holding on to and how much is it all worth? (in reality, in your estimation and in her mind)

Also, drop this liquid assests thing, its not what you are talking about, maybe you heard this in a movie or something?

Patrickmiller

I have given her everything with her name on it and now she wants “her stuff” back. She cannot keep a job because of her drinking problem and has been living rent free and on my dime.
What do you exactly mean by with her name on it? I guess then "The stuff" now belongs to her by that if she can prove it that you've given to her.

What she wants back are material possessions most of which I have bought and can probably, with extensive research, find documentation for. I told her she can have back anything she can provide a receipt for and have claimed everything in my apartment as my own liquid assets.
She'll need a proof that stuff she is asking for belongs to her. Your receipts will prove that you've bought the stuff but if you gifted him or something like that then it belongs to her if she can prove.
I'm not sure what do you really mean by liquid assets.

LdiJ

Anything that you gave her as a gift is her property. Trying to claim everything in your apartment is yours when you know that some things are hers is just blatant theft.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">