• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Married to two people in Georgia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GeorgiaIssue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia
My father earlier in the year married a lady that turned out to be already married. We have consulted with a local attorney and he said $500 and the annuliment would be taken care of. My question is, I read an earlier post from a guy that married a lady in Nevada and found out she was already married to a guy in Texas. A reply post back to him stated the 2nd marriage is void and no annuliment or divorce is nessary. Is this the same in the state of Georgia? Does my father have to take legal filing action or is the marriage voided and he is no longer or never has been "legally" pound to her? Need some quick advice before proceeding with this attorney requesting monies we do not have to pay or go through.

Thanks!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

LdiJ

My father earlier in the year married a lady that turned out to be already married. We have consulted with a local attorney and he said $500 and the annuliment would be taken care of. My question is, I read an earlier post from a guy that married a lady in Nevada and found out she was already married to a guy in Texas. A reply post back to him stated the 2nd marriage is void and no annuliment or divorce is nessary. Is this the same in the state of Georgia? Does my father have to take legal filing action or is the marriage voided and he is no longer or never has been "legally" pound to her? Need some quick advice before proceeding with this attorney requesting monies we do not have to pay or go through.

That isn't accurate. The second marriage is voidable but not void. An annulment or divorce needs to take place. Can you give a link to the post/thread you are talking about?

mistoffolees

Typically, bigamy is grounds for a marriage to be VOIDABLE, but not automatically void. I would pay the attorney to get a proper annulment.

THEN, I would ask the wife to pay the legal expenses. She might willingly do that to avoid being prosecuted for bigamy.

mistoffolees

Ok great! The post I'm referring is https://forum.freeadvice.com/divorce-seperation-annulment-36/married-twice-28602.html posted 11-22-2000. I was googling being married twice and this link or site pulled up.

Also, what is the deal with the online annulment do it yourself services. They're much cheaper, but are they legit?
Heck, the local attorney is $500. Why would you want to mess around and take the chance that it's not handled properly? Plus, you'll have to worry about service, appearing in court, and so on. Just pay the attorney - and then ask stbx to reimburse the attorney's fees.

GeorgiaIssue

Wouldn't want to mess around and take that chance. That's why I was asking b/c my father asked the question. Everyone tries to save as much money as possible. Human nature! :) It was simply a question if you knew about them or not. Thanks...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">