• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My husband's home with his ex-wife..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Since her mother put down the down payment her mother certainly has a vested interest in ensuring that either her daughter can take over the house or that they get a good enough price to pay her back.
What makes you think it was a loan? In fact, I'd bet a week's pay that a gift letter was submitted when the mortgage was applied for.

LdiJ

What makes you think it was a loan? In fact, I'd bet a week's pay that a gift letter was submitted when the mortgage was applied for.
Oh I am sure that she did. I am also sure that the OP could get away with any repayment to her not coming out of HIS share on a legal basis. However, its less likely (on a family level) that the ex could get out of reimbursing mom from HER share.

To be honest...I would never stiff an inlaw or ex inlaw in this kind of circumstance.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Oh I am sure that she did. I am also sure that the OP could get away with any repayment to her not coming out of HIS share on a legal basis. However, its less likely (on a family level) that the ex could get out of reimbursing mom from HER share.

To be honest...I would never stiff an inlaw or ex inlaw in this kind of circumstance.
Fair enough. Basically, no legal requirement for repayment, but possibly a moral one.

HRZ

I'm betting on same gift letter ...but still no good reason for EX not to have gotten property sold in 2 years ...but perhaps she plans on not rushing to perform any moral duty re Mom. BUt I doubt that is reason EX failed to get it done...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">