• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Out-of-state spouse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PandorazBox80

I got married in N.Y. state but live in PA. My husband still lives in N.Y. We have been separated for over 18 years. I was told by a friend that I can go to my local prothonotary's office and may qualify for a cheap or free divorce because I'm low-income (disabled). Am I able to file here in PA because I live here, and have since we separated? Or would I have to find a way to file in N.Y.? We have no children or assets, and he will not be fighting it. Thank you for your time and help.

LdiJ

I got married in N.Y. state but live in PA. My husband still lives in N.Y. We have been separated for over 18 years. I was told by a friend that I can go to my local prothonotary's office and may qualify for a cheap or free divorce because I'm low-income (disabled). Am I able to file here in PA because I live here, and have since we separated? Or would I have to find a way to file in N.Y.? We have no children or assets, and he will not be fighting it. Thank you for your time and help.
You can file in PA because you live there. That is not a problem.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">