• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Post divorce - sue ex-wife for damages???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jlwarn2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Adams County, Colorado
I filed for divorce in Jan 2008 and was divorced in June 2008 (Adams County Colorado). When the divorce was final my ex was ordered to leave the house. When I moved back into the house she had destroyed the carpeting in the house, and she destroyed the new king size bed. I tried to file a small claims case and I was told it was a divorce matter. How can I get her to pay for the damages? I have proof what the carpet looked like before I left the house and when I moved back. It's not right that she can get away with this and there must be some legal action I can take??

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Adams County, Colorado
I filed for divorce in Jan 2008 and was divorced in June 2008 (Adams County Colorado). When the divorce was final my ex was ordered to leave the house. When I moved back into the house she had destroyed the carpeting in the house, and she destroyed the new king size bed. I tried to file a small claims case and I was told it was a divorce matter. How can I get her to pay for the damages? I have proof what the carpet looked like before I left the house and when I moved back. It's not right that she can get away with this and there must be some legal action I can take??
IF you can prove that the damage occurred after the judicial decree, then you just might have a case. I just can't see how you could prove that, though. The fact that it was OK when you moved out won't do it - it could have been damaged by the movers when she moved back in - and you are getting the house in the condition it was in when the judge awarded it to you.

I also suspect that the cost (in time, money, and ill-will) of trying to collect will exceed the potential value - unless the carpet was very expensive and like new when you moved out and the furniture was very expensive. Time to move on with your life.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">