• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Quit Claim deed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dcdennis3

Hello, All. I live in Georgia and in July of last year, I signed a quit claim on my former home. There was not any language in the divorce agreement that stated that ex would have to refinance the property. Now that I have realized the mistake that I’ve made, I would like to put an agreement in place with my ex to have her sell the home or refinance within a year. Is this a possibility by obtaining an attorney and going back to court? I believe my ex would agree to these terms. I’m really wondering if it is possible to modify this portion of the divorce agreement. Thanks for any help or suggestions

Last edited:

Just Blue

Hello, All. I live in Georgia and in July of last year, I signed a quit claim on my former home. There was not any language in the divorce agreement that stated that ex would have to refinance the property. Now that I have realized the mistake that I’ve made, I would like to put an agreement in place with my ex to have her sell the home or refinance within a year. Is this a possibility by obtaining an attorney and going back to court? I believe my ex would agree to these terms. I’m really wondering if it is possible to modify this portion of the divorce agreement. Thanks for any help or suggestions
Did you have an attorney?

LdiJ

Its possible ONLY if your ex agrees to those terms voluntarily. Your ex is under no obligation to do so.

Just Blue

Unfortunately, I did not. We used an attorney together and I agreed to the terms. We both used this attorney previously and I did not realize the severity of the quit claim without refinance terminology.
So..You signed off on all rights to the property and not the financial. Who hire the attorney and paid for the attorney?

HRZ

Are you owed money out of the home and not seeing it yet ...or was the deal that she gets home and you are merely hung out in the wind as to your exposure if she fails to pay mortgage ....are you exposed on mortgage .

I understand wit was dumb to quit claim but is not clear what your exposure is ?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">