• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Same Old Situation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tim B

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I've posted about this situation before but it has never been resolved and I still have no idea where I stand. But I still have questions and would like to get on with my life... So here I am again.

To make a long story short, my girlfriend and I got married in February 1985, we didn't stay together very long and she had disappeared by September of 1988. We didn't have any marital assets to speak of, just an old Toyota. But we did have one child, which she took with her when she left in the aforementioned Toyota. I haven't seen or heard from her for 22 years now in spite of being easy to find. Sadly, we are still married after all these years. I did hear from my son a couple of years ago, but not her.

I have had a girlfriend for almost 12 years now and we would like to buy a house together. But due to the fact that I am still married to someone else we are wondering if that is a good idea. So my question is this: Can my "Wife" come along and take half of my half of that house? (If we were to buy it, that is...)

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I have had a girlfriend for almost 12 years now and we would like to buy a house together. But due to the fact that I am still married to someone else we are wondering if that is a good idea. So my question is this: Can my "Wife" come along and take half of my half of that house? (If we were to buy it, that is...)
There's no needs for quotes. Your "wife" is your wife. Period. (*) Your girlfriend is not. CA is a community property state. That means that if you buy a house, your wife is automatically entitled to 1/2 of your share (unless you are using an inheritance to buy and keep up the house).

* Check the court records wherever you have lived and wherever your wife has lived. It's possible that she already obtained the divorce. If so, then you're divorced. If not, you need to get a divorce. You can do it even if you don't know where she is, but you probably want an attorney since divorce by publication isn't easy.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
The last time you posted about this was about five years ago. Why did you do nothing at that point, when you could have asked your son (assuming you did respond to him)?

And... what did you do about the past child support?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">